Author Topic: Cauli question  (Read 2978 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
Cauli question
« on: December 24, 2008, 13:40:01 »
Which cauli type would you recomend for an allotment in the north west, I've had no luck so far with cauli's, all my other Brassica's were fine (very pleased  ;D ) but cauli's were a disaster. Any suggestions?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Cauli question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 14:42:19 »
My most successful is Purple Cape, an overwintering one. It goes green on cooking...  :-\

N8R

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 14:45:59 »
did really well with all year round and cheap too brought from netto im in yorkshire so you should be fine  !!! n8r ;D ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 15:32:08 »
cauli's were a disaster. Any suggestions?

Why were they a disaster?

How did you sow the seeds and plant out etc?
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 19:01:33 »
cauli's were a disaster. Any suggestions?

Why were they a disaster?

How did you sow the seeds and plant out etc?
The seeds went into a seed bed and then transplanted to final position, soil was very firm, p.h. tested etc. The cauli's only grew to about half size then went brown and mouldy, all did the same. All the other brassica's in that bed were great (just picked some sprouts today). It was my first year but I did expect at least one cauli  :( :(

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 20:32:06 »
The seeds went into a seed bed and then transplanted

I think the answer is in this statement, cauli's don't take kindly to transplanting.

My way is to use 1" cell trays one seed per tray, once germinated pot on into 3" pots and then at a time suited to your area plant out in their final quarters.

This method prevents minimum root disturbance.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 15:27:18 »
Sorry to have to disagree with you Tee Gee but, we grew acre's of cauliflower's and they were all grown in seed beds and transplanted out, the one thing cauliflower does not like is loose soil
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 15:30:08 »
If you are transplanting,and I do,cauli's dont like leaving in individaul pots for too long.

In my opinion they need planting out when they have two or three true leaves and not when they have begun to set a good root ball.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 15:40:33 »
We planted them out in the fields and they were NEVER watered in, my Granddad used to like to see the plants lie down for about 2 weeks He used to say it made them a better plant when they had to fight for survival.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 20:56:44 »
Never really had much luck with caulis myself so this year I am trying different varieties for different seasons.  In 2009 I am trying Candid Charm as a summer cauli,  Deakin as an autumn cauli and Snowmarch as a spring cauli.  I live in the north east. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 23:09:42 »
I grew Clapton from T&M for the first year this year purely because they are club root resistant and I had fairly good success.  The cauli's were small but had a lovely taste.  The seeds are expensive but these were the only cauli's I have grown and had a result.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/34/1.html
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:12:00 »
I recommend All Year Round.

Grew these for first time in 2008, in individual modules, transplanted into 3" pots when they started to outgrow the modules, then into garden soil.

Got approx 16 beautiful caulis - will grow more of these this coming season.

Debs

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 13:44:21 »
Sorry to have to disagree with you Tee Gee but, we grew acre's of cauliflower's and they were all grown in seed beds and transplanted out, the one thing cauliflower does not like is loose soil

No need to apologies Richard, I think you will agree there are many ways of growing plants successfully and I would say that both the method you use and the one I use can be quite successful.

In fact I recall many years ago,I would buy a 'score' of 'bare rooted' plants at the local garden centre for a few bob then take them home wrapped in a piece of newspaper and plant them as you suggested.

It was only in later years when my plot succumbed to 'club root' that I started to grow them the way I do, as I found this way got them off to a better start than the bare rooted approach.

Plus the fact it become more difficult to buy bare rooted as years went by, what is pleasing now is;  in recent years I see that some of the seed merchants are now selling rooted plants but not at a few bob per score :o

Continuing with the reminiscences; I find that this is the beauty of websites such as A4A.

It allow people such as us to exchange points of view!

'In my day' I was dependent on 'local growers' for advice which was often a bit limited meaning; as in my case, there were many years of trial & error.

At least now we exchange our experiences nationally/globally with relative ease, which I am sure must save new growers the trial & error situation at least!

Finally;this thread reminds me of a quotation I often use and that is;

There is no wrong way to plant plants only better ways

Trouble is; It can take a life time to find the best ways!!

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 20:07:22 »
Tee Gee

Thank you very much for your reply.   It was done very thoughtfully and respectfully without any hint of resentment.  My reply to your answer earlier was done ( I hope ) in the same way no,  disrespect for you was meant
 I wish you and all that use this site a very happy and successfull New Year.

Richard.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 17:36:37 »
We had 100% harvest with Serac. Got them in the cold greenhouse now ready to go out when they are big enough. They were a bit late going in but think they will be ok
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 21:28:21 »
The  easist and most reliable caulies to grow are winter types like winter St George or welcherhams winter thanet .Sow late june, set your plants out Sept ..
In March sprinkle some sulphate of ammonia or nitrate of soda sparingly around them not touching them .. Only drawback with these is they will nearly all be ready more or less within a week or fortnight of each other ..But you will get good caulies .. :)
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal