Author Topic: Thieving Barstards  (Read 6561 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Thieving Barstards
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:08:14 »
I went to the lottie Friday only to find that someone had helped their selves to a couple of cabbages, a cauli and the last of my sweetcorn they all seem to have been cut or snapped off properly, about ten weeks ago someone had taken carrots and beetoot and had even taken time to trim the tops off, an inside job one suspects.    >:( >:( >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Thieving Barstards
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:36:24 »
Sorry to hear that Kev, how low can people get.  We had someone going after gooseberries on our site in the summer, also an inside job.  We need to set up lottie-cams!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:46:48 »
sorry to hear of this i know i would be pi ss ing mad >:( if it happened to me. hmm! i wonder is there a way to booby trap veges :-\ ???.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:50:05 »
rotten sods, put a sign up, ck..these plants have been sprayed with a fungicide, might work  ???

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:59:27 »
 :'( :'( :'(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 12:01:28 »
Hello

That's taking pee, Some people have nothing else to do - properly someone promised they would veg on there plate there crops wasn't good as yours so they nick yours instead  :( we can't seem to keep anything these days if it's not bolted down it walks.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 12:31:06 »
Having been on the receiving end of veg theft myself,  it is not nice I know.  With the price of food these days,  I am sure we will have an increase of veg from our plots on a regular basis.  On our site we have an increase of veg thefts every Christmas :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 13:42:53 »
i too had the same problem this year but i caught them!! after they had been around our allotments for i while takeing fruit & veg, 5 of use dealt proper justice to them, ;D
today i will be growin veg!!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 15:49:16 »
sorry to hear of your loss Kev,Don't let it get you down  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 17:49:25 »
I was one pumpkin short this morning - and it's not as though I've grown huge ones - we use them for eating, not haloween rituals.
The Tuscan Beaneater

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 18:48:35 »
At my site few year back we had a few thieves.
We caught them in act had them arrested. They got fined £500, 3 days in jail and 5000 hours of community service not single theft since then. There is sign state we prosecute thieves.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 19:57:31 »
We have it happen all the time on my allotment site,this year so far Ive have had a row of spuds go,cabbage go,black Berry's go,runner beans go,and half my Bramleys go. All an inside job.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 21:09:29 »
It amazes me that no-one else ever sees thieving going on (assuming you are on a fair sized site)...or maybe they do and just don't like to say. Have you asked around Corny? I think Manics has the right idea ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 22:06:26 »
Its a crying shame the society we live in,

maybe an idea : is to put an old web cam up and promote that it is linked wireless to you home PC, and use a ruse that you let people no you got some good shots of wildlife, IE a munk jack running about, or a rabbit got in and it let you find the hole,

may not work but the idea may send signals round the plot, so your not actually accusing anyone, just the idea that you put it up for your wildlife interest.

I have done it and people no i am into ornithology, plus my crops seem to have not gone walk about.

regards
Steve
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 22:19:05 »
I sympathise...hope you still have plenty of stuff that they didn't take.

Some nice person climbed over my gate and picked all my pears a few weeks ago. On the one hand, at least they didn't take any of the crops I had actually put effort into growing, but on the other hand, the pears weren't ripe yet and so they would have ended up throwing them all away....what a waste.

And on the 3rd hand, my gate is about 8 feet high and has big spikes on top (not put there by me, were there when I got the plot), so there's a reasonable chance they would have injured themselves in some way getting in or out....every cloud  ;)

Why do people do it? Especially when they are too thick to know whether what they are taking will be edible or not. Grrrrr!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 22:19:48 »
I went to the lottie this morning and found some toerag had helped themselves to all of the pears off my tree about 30 and 3 caulies and all my broccoli, i went down to get some pears for some chutney but just came home pissed off. these people who steal from allotments have no idea that we rely on our crops and dont  do it just for the hell of it. have asked people whose houses look over the allotment if they saw anything but nobody saw a thing, we have had signs put on the gates to lock them when on and off the lotties so they either climbed over or came through the houses round the allotment. >:(
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 22:34:55 »
I am thinking some spiked plants are in order get them covered in something like cod liver oil or even something that works quicker to make them ill :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 22:44:07 »
Am I alone in thinking that if just a few things are taken then it could be that people are just hungry and desperate?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 22:53:44 »
Someone took all the gooseberries off one of my three bushes this year. There one day and gone the next. Someone told me gooseberries get stolen every year on our site some specifically targets them. This was the first year that I had a reasonable gooseberry crop....I mean would have had.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 22:59:15 »
That's exact.ly what happens on my site Kea.  Someone targets gooseberries every year.  Weird or what?  Not the easiest fruit to steal - mine were under nets held down by scaffolding poles and the thorns are evil.  Someone must have wanted them really badly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal