Author Topic: Thieving Barstards  (Read 6560 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Thieving Barstards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 23:03:32 »
I don't think people are hungry and desperate, I think they are just greedy, lazy, thieving *fatherless children*.  Allotments are pretty easy targets and most people don't consider it as bad as car theft, house theft.  Hope my one pear is OK.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 23:21:09 »
the biggest thieves are other plot holders

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 04:15:42 »
TGG - how did you effect their arrest?

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 04:51:55 »
we had their pictures from the several cctv cameras and several trip line trap cameras.
plus the fence paint on there clothes and hands was dead give away when they were caught.
But what really did them in was one of the  thieves dropped his wallet on one of the plots he stole from which had his name and address in it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:58:49 by thegreatgardener »

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 06:37:38 »
Its not only fruit and veg. A few years ago i was growing sweet peas with my runner beans. Someone had the flowers but left the beans?

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 08:32:41 »
I'm not aware of any crops that have been stolen from out site, but do know that two plot holders had their green houses stolen recently! 

??? I'm presuming they were stolen for the scrap metal as I can't see them taking them apart bit by bit in the dark...

Stupid thing is, we have a gate that is locked at the top of the road... so unless someone had left the gate open or they had a key - They would have had to carry all the frame bits away  :o

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 08:33:30 »
I put a sign up warning that pesdicides are used, and that eating the veg straight after use could be unhealthy - well words to that effect ;D The chav's fell for it and i've had no bother since. Well i do use a bit of Deris.... ;D

Although i have had some melons nicked and used as footballs since. >:(
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 13:09:48 »
Georgie it's a thought (and not a nice one in these modern times) but I don't think that is what's happening here there's too much of it going on and it hasn't been limited to these "lean times" either. There are people out there who just want what others have and can't be bothered to send the time and effort themselves. They are the 'Takers' who shall no doubt be judged by someone higher sooner or later ...

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 15:20:17 »
I went to the lottie Friday only to find that someone had helped their selves to a couple of cabbages, a cauli and the last of my sweetcorn they all seem to have been cut or snapped off properly, about ten weeks ago someone had taken carrots and beetoot

Sorry about that, Kev, I didn't have time to go to Asda on the way home.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 16:35:34 »
28 replies and only one gag, Sam I'll be round for dinner later. :-*  Jim's right the biggest thieves are fellow plot holders, but when plotters leave or get thrown off whats to stop them coming back with spare keys, I'm pretty sure Enfield council won't change the lock every time someone leaves, I reported it to the Secretary or whatever he is, all he said is yes others have had stuff taken. If someone had broke in there would be signs of it and I greased the two fences along my side and don't think their coming in that way, others have had bits and bobs missing so I think the culprit thinks a bit here a bit there and no one will notice, guess again I count the runners every night.  ;D  Tony it did get me down, but I have other stuff but how long will it last, I rarely see other lotties so no one else to ask about it as I only ever see 6 or 7 of them, I work all day so pop over after work or on a Sunday so I never bump into many of them, the OH is going to make me a sign to put up, I'm thinking all thieving feckers will be scarecrowed or certain plants have been injected with poison take your chances make my day.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 16:38:15 »

Georgie it's a thought (and not a nice one in these modern times) but I don't think that is what's happening here there's too much of it going on and it hasn't been limited to these "lean times" either. There are people out there who just want what others have and can't be bothered to send the time and effort themselves. They are the 'Takers' who shall no doubt be judged by someone higher sooner or later ...

If that really is the case then I can understand everyone's anger.  I just find it hard to believe that folk can be so mean spirited.   :(

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 16:46:20 »
I got your seeds today Georgie will PM later.  ;D ;D ;D :-*

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 16:47:10 »
sorry to hear that you've had produce taken, cornykev. unfortunately we have a similar situation on our site: apparently there are a couple of people who are known to be light-fingered but it seems that it's just tolerated as "the way things are". I always take my camera with me so the minute I see anyone stealing I'll be straight down to the council with photographic evidence. I've lost sweetcorn, strawberries and runner beans, others have lost a whole tree's worth of plums, the odd tool here and there, and a greenhouse that was on an untended but rented plot mysteriously disappeared then reappeared on a neighbouring plot with a For Sale sign on it...

I think there's a bit of an unspoken "old boys" network where everyone knows who's responsible and turns a blind eye. I've been told more than once to make my fence higher so that my veg doesn't go missing. somehow it's worse when it's fellow plot holders, it makes you suspicious of everyone and reluctant to stand chatting over the gate in case they're busy checking out what's over your shoulder :(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 17:42:25 »
It's only going to get worse. I estimate that since my 2 boys started secondary school they've had about £500 worth of stuff stolen at school right under their noses some times. A couple of weeks my younger son put his bag and fleece down beside him for a few minutes when he went to pick it up the fleece had gone, probably into to a rubbish bin they don't take stuff like that to keep just to annoy. That's £30 worth gone only 2 weeks into the school year now I'm having trouble finding a replacement. Every week they come home with empty penicil cases and need new pens, pencils, erasers even maths sets and calculators...no point complaining to school they don't give ****. I feel like I supply the entire school with stationary....but then i know other parents finding the same. Oh yes then it's my child who gets a point deducted for not 'having the right equipment for the lesson'.

So in a few years when these kids grow up they will think it's ok to help themselves.....as long as it's not from a shop it's not stealing!!!!....It's finding.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 18:09:05 »
Sad but true,some plot holders seem to think its part of having an allotment to go round and help your self,other plot holders do not help,with there  "well on a site this big you are going to get the odd bit nicked,theres not a lot you can do about it is there". Well i know what i would do.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 17:37:41 »
we have 180 allotments on the site and stuff is getting nicked all the time in very large amounts
never good at growing  leeks but this year i was till some t**t nicked em all

jim

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 18:55:37 »
I now have two signs up on my runner bean uprights.
One is a skull and cross bones with the wording : all crops  have been sprayed with arsnic go on take a chance and make my day.
The other has a picture of a burglar with a swag bag with  the wording : all theives will be scarecrowed with a scarecrow picture underneath.
I suppose the council will have something to say about it, feck um.  ;D ;D ;D

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 11:41:56 »
we have been hit again this time sprouts and jan king cabbage  some one is supplying a local shop
the gate keys to this site fit every site in preston...we  have around 8 sites

jim

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 11:52:06 »
we have been hit again this time sprouts and jan king cabbage  some one is supplying a local shop
the gate keys to this site fit every site in preston...we  have around 8 sites

jim

What the police say?

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 12:35:06 »
i dont think they care  they remind me of the 2 in

last of the summer wine

anything