Author Topic: White Sauce  (Read 1749 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
White Sauce
« on: September 08, 2008, 19:49:14 »
Why - please - can you make a sauce, cook it for several minutes to the exact consistency, put it to cool - bring it out & need to add almost as much liquid as before??

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: White Sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:52:58 »
Think it is mainly to do with temperature & starch expansion.

Have you tried the comparison and quantity variation with other starches such as wheat flour, rice flour, corn four, or arrowroot?

The results would be very interesting.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:34:47 »
The only other I've tried is Cornflour - very strange to handle.

Despite searching in McGee & Lundberg, I still can't figure why, having thickened - as normal - on cooling, sauce can then take so much more liquid to re-thin it. Just re-heating doesn't do it.

Must try making it much thinner to see what happens.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:02 »
Tim it's something that frustrates me, as most of us will make sauce in advance supposedly making serving a little easier.
We need Baccy man for this one hope he's not too far away? I will be back later to see if he is able to throw any light on it :-\

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:32:50 »
Simple answer is cook out over a low heat for 30 minutes after the desired consistency is reached & stir regularly whilst cooling to limit the amount of gelation that occurs.

A more comprehensive answer will take a while to write in a way where I don't confuse myself let alone anyone else as there are lots of factors that influence the consistency & the processes of dextrinisation, gelatinisation, gelation & retrogradation to explain.
It will have to wait until later though as the sun is out & I have been informed the floodwater has receded so the bridge is back in use which means I can get to my plot for the first time in a week & a half.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:33:29 »
Ah, so go on cooking beyond the desired consistency. Must try!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:20:45 »
Me too, many thanks Baccy man.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal