Author Topic: Pruning apple cordons  (Read 1037 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Pruning apple cordons
« on: September 03, 2008, 15:24:56 »
I planted James Grieve and Rev W Wilks in spring.  Should I prune them soon?

Also how can I take and propagate cuttings?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Pruning apple cordons
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 16:09:24 »
Hi Dave,

I think its spring to prune apples, not sure if cordons are treated the same as standard trees in timing. Also cuttings wont be any good as is, you can graft cuttings onto a rootstock of differing vigour. I think its M26 for dwarfing types.

Best to have a google or wait for an experienced apple person to appear from the cyber-ether :D ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 16:13:56 »
Hi Dave,

I think its spring to prune apples, not sure if cordons are treated the same as standard trees in timing. Also cuttings wont be any good as is, you can graft cuttings onto a rootstock of differing vigour. I think its M26 for dwarfing types.

Best to have a google or wait for an experienced apple person to appear from the cyber-ether :D ;)
I wanted to see what own roots tree grow like - some people think they are a good idea.
Just as an experiment.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 16:19:56 »
It depends on the variety I think Dave. I reckon James Grieve is a medium sized one. (Im sure I'll get corrected on that !!)

If your'e experimenting then give it a go, I thought you wanted to increase your step over apple trees.

As an aside there are lots of apple trees growing wild on the road verges close to me. Where people have thrown cores out of car windows........not the same as you want to do I know, some fruit is gorgeous and others are awful.

Let us know how the experiment goes :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 18:16:48 »
Hi Dave ,

how old are your cordons ? already trained & got side branches ? Main leader already stopped at final height ?

I have several cordons and prune the side branches in late August - I cut all new growth back to 1 leaf above last pruning cut.

Not an expert so maybe someone will give other advice -

good luck Gail

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal