Author Topic: celery ready?  (Read 1185 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
celery ready?
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:36 »
I grew celery this year for the first time and it's looking great. My question is: will it sit happily until I'm ready to lift it or is it likely to bolt/grow to seed if I leave it too long? How do I know it's ready or is it ready when I say so? Should I lift it all and freeze it? My goodness I don't even know if it does freeze successfully. :-[ Will frost kill it off? Celeriac stands well for ages.

Sorry that's rather more than one question. I've never liked celery before but rediscovered it this year and find it quite addictively good!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: celery ready?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:37 »
depends ...

If it is a self-blanching type ... it should be ready to pick now - we have been digging it up for the last couple of weeks (we are in Berks). Frost will kill it off. Sticks will freeze fine for subsequent use in soups, stews, etc but not for eating raw.

If it is a trench type then it will happily stand outdoors until you need it. Officially it will last until the end of the year or end of Jan depending on the variety.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 13:33:32 »
hmm now I am worried - I planted celery but it doesn't seem anywhere near ready - I planted plants quite late in the early summer. The stems are still small and thin - does it need more water or something else?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 16:19:50 »
they need lots (and lots) of water, being bog plants originally. Ground preparation is important - I always manure the area where they are going.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 16:29:21 »
I'll vouch for the water aspect ...we watered much more heavily this year than last and this year's crop is bigger and healthier.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal