Author Topic: SMALL GARDEN & FIRST EVER POND  (Read 2624 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
SMALL GARDEN & FIRST EVER POND
« on: August 13, 2004, 12:26:22 »
I live in a 2-bed terrace and have a rather small garden/back yard but still want a pond 'cos I find watching fish very calming, especially after 12-hour night shifts.  

Had a flash of inspiration during shift last night & wondered what the experts out there thought of the following:

1. Do pond on a raised plinth so can hide the recycling boxes underneath ('cos space is at a premium).

2. Should stop small kids accidentally falling in (safety).

3. Should also stop the parent's dog from using it as his personnal drinking bowl/ snack bar.

4. If make retaining wall deep enough can use as seating, can also build in several planting spaces.

5. Solar power pump - do such things exist?

Any help or further suggests very welcome.  

CC.

ps. fish wish I rather like the look of some orangey-silver goldfish variety.  I think they're called something like "saraba" or "surasi"
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:SMALL GARDEN & FIRST EVER POND
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 13:34:09 »
Hi Carrot..Sarasa Comet.

The comet is a goldfish or shubunkin which has large fins and a long caudal fin which is deeply forked.it moves faster than the common forms and is sleeker.The white and red one is the Sarasa Comet.

OK thats the fish chosen. Thats the easy bit!! i have 2 ponds,one raised and one in the ground.You need to be something of a brickie unless you pay someone to build your pond,as I did.You need a very good retaining wall for obvious reasons,and always best to dig the first 6ins to 1ft below the ground level,so that if the worst should happen you will still have some water left in,plus it is warmer under that level.Then you need to consider the height.Mine is 2 foot above ground level and a comfortable height to work at and view the fish.

However not so easy to hide filters etc,as unless you have a pressurized filter(which I could not get on with) you need the return pipes above the level of the water.

Yes,solar pumps do exist but you need a lot of sunshine to work them to any efficient level.Unless you only have a very few fish,and lots of plants,you will have problems with algae.Unless you build the pond out of direct sunlight,in which case the solar pump won't work!! Catch 22.

I would take your time in thinking this one out.Shelves are difficult to build in a raised pond,all my plants are on the bottom.Get yourself a book out the library or off the net.Hope this has been of some use to you!!
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal