Author Topic: Cat flaps  (Read 2159 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Cat flaps
« on: August 15, 2008, 18:22:09 »
I have two old cats, one on pills, who is deaf and eye sight not too good.  The other one has a bit of trouble with his back legs.  When I am home I leave the back door open, but they are wonderfully clean cats, although 12 and 15 years.  The only time I had to have a litter tray was when we had snow and they got quite distressed about going to the toilet.  With all the heavy rain we sometimes have a flood outside the back door so when they go out the cat flap land in a puddle.  I do regularly clean the cat flap with window cleaner and have just done so, that is probably why they are not so keen to use the cat flap at night.  Just to say if you have old, short sighted cats it is a good idea to clean it regularly as it gets so, so dirty.  Also if one has gone out the other one will sit by the cat flap to stop the other one coming in, then there is a fight.  Zorba is very good, he has just helped me wash the kitchen and bathroom floor by walking in the water and spreading it about.  He has also taken to sleeping in the bath when it is very hot.  His other trick is breaking up jigsaw puzzles in the middle of the night and Charlie is the computer cat.  He knows I will sit for a long time on the computer and immediately I turn it on he is there on my lap.
When Zorba was a kitten and we got the cat flap we sat all day trying to get him to use it, but in the end a soft push with a broom did the trick and he has never looked back.  The only time it is locked is vet time and then they head butt it.  I am sure he listens to the phone call to the vet and then 5 mins before he is due to go disappears and I don't get the carrying box out, also they know when one is going on holiday, but perhaps the suitcase is a clue.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 19:17:32 »
We have two cat flaps, one from garden to utility room, t'other from utility room to kitchen.  One night we heard one of our two cats come in, first through one flap, then the other.  A couple of minutes later we heard the flaps go again - and then again.  There was a terrific fight, another cat had sneaked in between our cats.  They then chased it out, but all three tried to go through the flaps at the same time, smashing both flaps!

The flaps do get dirty and I clean them regularly - the cats have to check the coast is clear before venturing out.  One cat, Pushkin, throws himself through the flap so everyone knows he's on his way, but his brother, Muppet, doesn't like anyone to know his movements, so lets the flap fall onto his tail so it doesn't make a noise.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 21:23:39 »
Both cats are sulking, because it is often fish and chips on a Friday night, but because I was too long at the allotment it is potato and courgette soup (they don't like that!!).  I expect they will ring the RSPCA as they will just have to put up with cat food tonight and no fish.  Anyway I did tell them that in August the fish shop is shut.  I sometimes think that my children were less trouble than two old cats, who complain if I have been out too long.  Hope the allotment cat is OK, although we have found dead rats, and foxes which we hope haven't been posioned.  I do not think it would be kind to take him home as he is used to his life there, but in the winter it is cold but he has a shed and a bed and he is a long haired cat.  He has taken a long time to get used to me and is still frightened if I stroke him.  He is fed twice a day and has got used to the allotment folk.  Hope he is OK.  One second cat was a stray and starving but now he is impossible and demands the best chairs, beds and heating on.  He has now got fussy about food and if he doesn't have cat biscuits at night wakes me up in the middle of the night.  Give them an inch and they take a mile.  No more cats when these have gone, a tidy house.  How many times have I said that in my life!!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 21:49:26 »
Borlotti, I do hope your allotment cat is OK.  I worry so much about all the poisons people put down for the different pests, cats are curious animals, though they are usually very sensible about what they eat.

I bet he's gone walkabout looking for birds, and will be back in a couple of days or so.  It's hunting weather at the moment.  :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 22:51:43 »
He normally waits at the gate as he knows the cars and the two people that feed him.  He only tolerates me,  I am sure he is OK as has been living there for the 5 years that I have had an allotment there.  Hopefully he will be there tomorrow.  He sleeps next to my allotment but doesn't trust me yet, I think he must have been ill treated in the past.  When I was sheltering from the rain under the Willow Tree, he was there with me, but he wouldn't come too close, and had to keep his distance.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:31 »
The allotment cat is back and happy sitting with the man who feeds him on his allotment and watching/helping him weed.  Didn't see him for two days which was unusual.  One less thing to worry about.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:45 »
Good news!!  ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 21:55:36 »
our catflap gets very dirty too!! our cat Bob is getting so fat that he really has to squeeze hard to get out  :-[ he is 10 years old and is very crafty about getting more food then he should get, he also tricks people out of their chairs so he can nab a nice warm place
although he has used the catflap all of his life he often "forgets" how it works and makes a noise trying to hook the flap in with his claws instead of pushing through it1 I think this is a trick to make someone open the door for him
needless to say it is usually OH that he cons
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 22:10:08 »
Cats would much prefer the door to be opened for them or preferably left open, but they don't seem to have the same trouble getting in through the cat flap when it is cold or raining.  Very sensible animals cats. Zorba is 17 and on pills, also I think he is deaf as doesn't mind the grandchildren, used to go out when they came.  I spoil him because he is old, he likes fish and chips on a Friday night, only likes the cod, so I end up with batter and chips, and he enjoys his Sunday roast with cold meat on Monday.  I have to cut it up finely with scissors as he has not got many teeth.  He has been sleeping in the bath as I think he gets overheated at night.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal