Author Topic: pond in a pot  (Read 3001 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
pond in a pot
« on: August 10, 2004, 16:50:50 »
Hello.
I need advice on how I can create a pond in a pot. What type of pot for a start. I've been looking around garden centres but have'nt decided on anything. Saw some half barrels yesterday but they smelled highly of whiskey...very nice but I might have a couple of goldfish in my pond. (Kept fish indoors for a number of years). I really don't know where to start. Will probably put it off til next year now but you know what its like when you want to do something. You want to get it started.
I need top tips!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:pond in a pot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 17:17:30 »
I think the biggest concern would be for the fish and if they would survive a winter outdoors in a barrel or small pot container? Depending on where in Britain you live and what the lowest temperature your area has reached over the years. Here in sunny Brum last winter we had a low of -6°C and I think that would see them off. :o

Roy :)

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 21:17:08 »
Hello Heidi.I think your best bet if you can make yourself stick to just the 2 fish,is to get the biggest and deepest pre formed pond you can afford the space and money for.Then you will have some digging to do!! but at least the depth should be sufficient for reasonably normal winters.However,you could always bring them indoors for the winter.That is what mum did with hers and they did well for years like that.You could get away without a pump/filter if you have plenty of plants and the pond is in a shady spot so that the water does not overheat.

However,bear in mind that you are likely to get lots of frogs and possibly newts invade also.If the pond is big enough they will be ok,but I have seen frogs completely take over a goldfish pond.
Margaret

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 10:36:17 »
thanks for the replies. I've got an article from a magazine which deals with this subject but its not very indepth. It also suggests bringing the fish indoors over winter. I need to give it some more thought. I actually like the idea of frogs. I'm still humming and hahing over which type of container to use,and what to put in it.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 20:38:09 »
Heidi,go to  www.watergardeningdirect.co.uk and order a brochure from them.Ask them questions too over the net,they are very good and very helpful.Or you coul  get a book from the library.Iif you read up all about ponds before you start you are much less likely to make the wrong choice.Just remember,that you choose whether to have fish,but frogs choose you.!!Nature ponds are much easier to dig and keep a balance,with less problems like green water or blanketweed.In fact i have suffered with neither in my nature pond.And frogs will certainly repay you by keeping your garden free of pests.
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal