Author Topic: Strawberries from seed  (Read 1254 times)

zeed

• Not So New ...
Strawberries from seed
« on: August 07, 2008, 19:02:09 »
Hi, does anyone know about growing strawberries from seed? I bought these amazing strawberries in my local market. There was no identification as to the variety on the box, and they were amazing. I saved one soggy one, and scraped some of the seeds and pulp from the surface onto a seed tray. 3 weeks later I think one has started to germinate. I suppose these must have been grown in a polytunnel so maybe the risk of cross pollination would be less. Has anyone grown strawberries from seed? and if so, any advise please.
Zeed

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Strawberries from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 19:34:47 »
OH has grown them from seed.  At the moment he has some seed collected from fruits, drying on kitchen paper, ready to sow in spring.

Whilst you say the fruit was soggy, OH tends to save the berries of the biggest and best fruits to save for seed (But only those the Mr/Mrs Blackbird has spoilt). ???

As you've got a plant germinated, you need to pot it up and keep it through the Winter.

I've just been looking in a plant catalogue at strawberry plants, and it makes no mention of them being F1, so cross pollination should not be a problem (I think).

valmarg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
You couldn't make it up!

zeed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 18:08:45 »
Thanks for the advise. I described one as 'soggy' meaning overipe. I used this because I thought that the seeds would be more mature. Several have germinated, so I'll wait and see . I shall pot them up when big enough. Zeed

zeed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 18:14:10 »
Further to my post of 7th August, asking about growing strawberries from seed, taken from a punnet of fruit. Well its a great success. I thought that I might get a couple of germinations, but no, they are coming up thick and fast. I've got about 26 or so, and they are still coming up. They are so tiny that I'll have to let them grow on before I can pot them up, for fear of damaging them. Obviously I dont know what I shall get, and they might be variable. But its fun trying this out, and afterall, that's one of the reasons we do this growing food stuff isnt it? Zeed

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 21:24:22 »
zeed, that's what gardening is all about - fun.

You get hooked.  There is nothing quite like going out into your garden and 'picking your own'.

At this time of year tomatoes, runner beans, courgettes, sweetcorn, mini corns.

We have had a wonderful crop of broad beans and peas earlier on.

Fruit-wise we had a poor crop of redcurrants, but very good crop of white currants and blackcurrants.  Second year of no cherries off our old Stella tree.

Sorry to have gone off at a tangent, aka waxed lyrical, but there is nothing quite like home grown,

valmarg

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 21:42:18 »
Sounds like a fun project. Not to be relied on but if it comes good, well...well done.  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal