Author Topic: favourite spuds  (Read 1771 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
favourite spuds
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:46:32 »
What are your favourite potato varieties in terms of both growing and cooking/eating and why?

I'm research which ones to try next year!
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:favourite spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:02:44 »
Aqui, has to be Anya's for me! Got a great crop, they taste fabulous, had very little slug damage,no blight, no need to peel and they look funky, and go for ridiculous prices in the gourmet potato section of supermarkets! You can steam them, roast them, boil them.
Trouble is being an early we have nearly eaten them all! :'( But, my brassicas are now growing in the spot they inhabited! ;D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

rdak

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:05:10 »
I've never grown Anya, but agree with D.P- flavour is great. one for next year.
Also my vote goes to Charlotte- which I have grown. home-grown taste is so superior to shop bought.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 10:16:30 »
DP - but not mash it!! If you want a later similar pot, Pink Fir - but they are very straggly.
Aqui - otherwise, any home grown pot straight out of the ground.Do you like yellow flesh or white? = Tim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 10:17:10 by tim »

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:56:04 »
How about salad blue! Bought them from HDRA's potato day, but only for eating as they had run out of seed potatoes for this heritage variety (or, for what seems like a high price, buy them in as microplants). The potatoes are blue throughout and were very tasty. THere is a red flesh one, but can't remember name of it.
Tasty baker (first early) was Winston.
Have just finished harvesting second earlies. Best harvest (weight) was Carlingford, and these seem to be hole free (though not had a close look). British Queen was a good cropper. We gave some of the second earlies away to friends (they have done a favour for us a while back..) so I can't comment on taste of those. Found the spuds overall to be yummy. I didn't make taste/cooking notes.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:53:38 »
 I have growm Pink Fir Apple as they have always fascinated me and desiree becase it is what i used to buy in tescos! Both have been grown in pots and bother have given excellent yeilds and are very versatile and tasty! Deisree are good alrounders so that why i chose them.
I am going to have PFA again next year but coose some new ones to try for my maincrop all purpose spud! And i will grow PFA in a container again it is worth it!
Jemma x

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:21:29 »
for brilliant yields and huge pots - Ambo, pulled some as earlies and used as new, but left some and just starting to use now - wonderful general purpose, I prefer flavour when older - and HUGE!

for brilliant taste and amazingly firm but smallish pots with  bright metallic purple skins that I have never seen available to buy - Arran Victory.  Very firm, very low water content compared to Ambo.

Charlottes - not too impressed with yield, but it may be just this year as others have found the same.

First time pot grower this year and so so pleased with the results.  If you want a good variety, Organic catalogue do collections in sets of 5.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 16:29:49 »
My Lady Christl first early was lovely and creamy. The Kestrel second early has been a huge crop, such a pretty potato with little pink eyes and makes the best chips I have had for ages.
Chantenay.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal