Author Topic: When is corn ready?  (Read 2710 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
When is corn ready?
« on: July 28, 2008, 13:38:07 »
My 3 sisters bed is doing really well - I definitely think there is something in that method!!

You can see that the corn is not so high but the ears seem already well developed. When should they be ready and how can I tell?
I am on holidays two weeks from the 9 - 23 august, I hope it won't be while I am away!! Could 2 weeks too many on the stalk make the corn inedible?

For info they were planted out on May 5, and they were sown at least 3 weeks prior to that.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: When is corn ready?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 13:42:10 »
A few ways to tell when it is ready. 
1)  Peel back the outer husk slightly and nip your nail into the corn - if ready you will get a milky sap released. 

2)  Prior to doing this the tassels (forgot the proper name), on the end of the cob usually turn brown. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 15:11:42 »
Good question. I have been wondering the same. Mine are at about the same stage.

God i hope i am not going to regret this question but.......... what are the stages for corn growth.

I have what looks life a cob at the top (very thin) and then tassle things about 1/2 way down the plant. I assume the cob pollinates the tassle and the cobs grow out of the top. I have never grown anything, so this is a bit new. Sorry if daft question.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 16:17:15 »
I think the pollen drops from the knobbly bit at the top and falls onto the tasselly bits which then grow into cobs.  The reason they should be planted in blocks is that the wind will blow the pollen around ensuring even pollination.

I seems the birds and the bees insects don't do the trick for sweetcorn.

If there hasn't been much wind, I give mine a shake when I pass them to get the pollen to fly.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 16:23:52 »
Read this on the net (I am growing LARK variety by the way):
"If you are growing sweetcorn for the first time and wonder when the cobs will be ready for harvesting, look at the tassels on the ends. Once they turn brown (from midsummer on), you should peel back the husk to check the corn. It will be pale yellow when ready to be picked and a milky liquid will appear when a kernel is pricked.

It doesn't keep well, so only pick the cobs you are going to eat that day. Good varieties include Lark, which has large cobs and bright yellow kernels, and Swift, which matures early and grows well in cool climates."
and
"The growth of sweet corn can be divided into 3 main growth stages during which stress or shortage of nutrients or water can affect the yield.

Stage 1 - This is the rapid growth stage and begins at around 4 weeks after emergence and lasts for around 25 days and is followed by tassel emergence. Rapid stem elongation begins and at this time ear size is being determined and any stress on the plant will permanently affect the ear.

Stage 2 - Pollination is the next stage and lasts for around 5 - 10 days when any stress will result in delayed silking and prevent kernel development generally at the tip and even if fertilised the kernel can fail to develop resulting in poor tip fill.

Stage 3 - This is the least critical period and lasts for around 12 days after silking. Stress can reduce kernel fill and determines whether the tip kernels fill even if pollinated."

The same article stresses that corn will keep for several days at low temperatures and more so if you keep it in its husk. But obviously it is better if you eat straight off the plant!!!

2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 16:26:03 »
OK. So cob grows out of the tassle bits half way down ? I had read about shaking and have been. Its quite exciting as I am really looking forward to the cobs.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 16:31:30 »
So cob grows out of the tassle bits half way down

Like this;

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 16:58:55 »
...... Its quite exciting as I am really looking forward to the cobs.

Yes. They weren't  as good as TG's but I still have the photos from 2006 of my first cobs  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 16:59:20 »
You don't need to worry about eating your corn on the day it is picked unless it is one of the older hybrid varieties. Most of the ones we grow today are bred to stay longer off the plant without going starchy. If you are growing a supersweet type it will be good for a few days. The old saying about having the water boiling before you pick isn't as accurate as it used to be. If you post the name of the corn you have planted I can tell you.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 22:00:52 »
Your corn looks just the same as my Northern Extra Sweet. Presumably it's still unripe as most of the tassels are still green, but the cobs look as though they're standing out from the stem a bit. That's usually a sign that they're getting near. Are they filling out well?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 22:05:09 by Robert_Brenchley »

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 22:50:00 »
There are a few photos demonstrating when the corn cobs are ripe, on my sweetcorn page at http://www.growyourown.info/page129.html
In Glasgow this year, I am only at the pollen falling stage, but the plants look the best that I have ever seen, very strong, and I am looking for a good crop in a month's time.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 00:37:49 »
Good Luck. I only like my corn if it is filled to the tip and none missing, I usually get this but not this year I supect.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal