Author Topic: hedgehog  (Read 6242 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
hedgehog
« on: July 26, 2008, 16:31:26 »
I was convinced this guy was dead, tony tapped his foot and he rolled up tightly, just having a minute by the peas  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 20:29:44 »
WE have one the size of a rugby ball that thunders its way round the borders!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:59:23 »
Such sweet little guys!  Wish we had some.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 19:41:10 »
I know we have hedgehogs because we can hear them snuffling and snorting when we sit out on warm(ish) nights, they also leave little presents on the patio. Unfortunately I rarely see them - wish I could get a photo, yours is brilliant.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 23:07:12 »
I've seen a couple of squashed ones recently, but I've never seen any trace of them on the allotments, and their poo is quite distinctive. I suspect poisoned slugs would soon finish off any that were down there.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:50 »
Our phantom hedgehog did a tour of our garlic and onions drying on the patio last night.  Left a couple of calling cards neatly by the side of the veg and presumably wandred off.  I didn't count them, but I doubt he/she'd eat a whole one!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 13:55:06 »
Still have mine.  I don't start feeding them until August but I saw it last Thurs. eating left overs from the ground feeder for birds.

:)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:01 »
We haven't had a visit for a while, in fact since it's been hot but I have scattered lots of bowls of water around the garden for them.
Janet.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 16:31:15 »
I have one too.

His name is Harry ;D

We first spotted him at the beginning of June this year and have seen him on many occasions since.

Hes so funny, he appears from the back of the garden between 6pm and 8pm, he walks the length of the garden and then caused a mystery as he seems to walk along the side of the house where we cant see from our viewing point, then down the drive and up towards the top end of the cul de sac, hes a funny little character and the fact that he takes the same route every time tickles us, but as I said it was a total mystery as to how he was getting from the side of the house to the front drive as we have a gate that has very strong sort of chicken wire type stuff that is running across the bottom of the gate (put there to actually deter cats who were sneaking under neath to us my garden as a toilet >:()
Anyway one night, we rushed outside to watch Harry and he got to the gate, and pushed and pushed with his head by the corner of the wire which is very strong sturdy stuff and I would'nt have believed it if i had not seen it, but he obviously had his little route off to a fine art and he easily surpassed it.

Just marvellous.

Its good to hear so many people seeing hedgehogs again, as we certainly have not seen them in our gardens for ten years or so and no doubt we are all looking out for them and helping to increase next years population :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 15:55:28 »
found another one today, baby one  ;D

romanybob

• Not So New ...
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 22:08:54 »
Saw a rather large fellow a while ago, he (or she) came plodding round the corner of the shed. Not sure who was more shocked!  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 23:14:50 »
Probably you, since they have extremely poor eyesight.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:31:01 »
how do these slow little guys escape predators which I assume would be owls, fox, hawks and dogs?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 19:41:14 »
GA have you never seen a hedgehog run. It's really funny, they have quite long legs. They curl up when predators are about.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 03:28:23 »
GA have you never seen a hedgehog run. It's really funny, they have quite long legs. They curl up when predators are about.
I have not seen a hedgehog ever.  They sound wonderful.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:16 »
They are loveley apart from the prickly spines and the ticks and fleas they carry. I am not sure you have anything like them in the US.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 12:42:29 »
Oh. Do they shoot the spines like porcupines do here?  A bane to dogs and dog owners.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:54:32 »
No, they can't shoot their spines. In fact you can pick them up if you're careful.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 14:22:12 »
 >:( we've lost all the ones that used to visit us since the council came to the lottie and put lots of rat poison down. V sad  :(

I presume unless they are re-introduced, we won't see any again

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

Gillyflower58

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 22:43:55 »
Hedgehogs worst predators, other than cars are badgers. 
A fox will take a small or injured hog. 

Dogs can do serious damage if they are stupid enough to manage to get hold of a hedgehog, they will damage their own mouths and the hog can be punctured. 
The wounds can get infected and can get fly strike.  The fly eggs then hatch out and eat into the hedgehog.  I recently had a hedgehog bought in that was so badly covered with fly eggs that were hatching out.  It had to be put to sleep as the eyes had been eaten, you really don't want to know the rest.

As a hedgehog carer, sometimes people are not as 'good' as you'd like.  I have had people phoning and telling me that they've had a hedgehog on the lawn for three days and it hasn't moved, do I think something is wrong with it!  Draw your own conclusions.
If you have a hedgehog in your garden or allotment, treasure it, they are getting scarce.  And, just in case you were wondering, a hedgehogs diet is less than 10% slugs and snails.  I advise people if they have a snail problem, try introducing some frogs or toads or slow worms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal