Author Topic: Fungus on a lawn  (Read 2639 times)

bozzer

• Not So New ...
Fungus on a lawn
« on: August 30, 2008, 14:33:29 »
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of fungus from a lawn. Our landlords had a large sycamore cut down several years ago and we think the fungus is coming from the roots left behind.

Shifting the roots would not be a practical proposition but the fungus now seems to be spreading. It looks delicate but is surprisingly substantial. I suppose we could try to dig it out and reseed the area but I fear that would only be a temporary solution and it would simply grow back in time.

Any ideas anyone? I have photos but I'm new to the forum and haven't worked out how to post them!

Bozzer

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Fungus on a lawn
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 19:53:50 »
cant help with a solution but here is a link on how to post photos if you are not a paying customer
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44356.0.html

bozzer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 20:00:49 »
Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 20:54:39 »
H bozzer,
sounds as if you have fungi caused by the decaying wood material left after the tree was cut down.
Sorry to say, but the only real way of getting rid is to remove all the soil from the area, and replace with fresh, sterile soil before re-seeding or turfing. The fact is similar to the couch grass/bind-weed problem, if the smallest bit is left in then it will return.
I did forget that the roots and all dead woody material should be removed but this would happen if the area was excavated properly.
Hope this helps,
Bryan.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

bozzer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 23:43:31 »
Thanks Bryan, thats what I was afraid of. :( I just hoped maybe there was some sort of fungicide that might do the trick.

The lawned area is communal to us and our neighbour and he took it upon himself to see to the grass when we all moved in together about 15yrs ago. The tree was a big sycamore. I tried to get the landlords to put in an alternative when they were planting them as I was sure it was too big a tree to be that close to the house, but they just ignored me! A few years ago they decided to cut it down along with the one they had planted by the other pair of semis. Probably because a branch fell off and nearly missed the kid next door (d**n!!!) The fungus is on our side of the grass so now, suddenly, our neighbour seems to think it should be down to us to sort it!

I'm certainly not prepared to go to all that trouble. I would simply dig it out and reseed the bare bits. I'm sure its related to the old tree as similar bits are growing on the old stump and now its spreading out in lines, presumably following the surface roots.

Bozzer

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:48:51 »
sounds like honey fungus (so-called because of the colour of the cap) if it is, inform the local council tree officer, he may be able to help.
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 13:00:35 »
From what you say, it sounds like the landlord's problem not yours.

bozzer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 16:20:50 »
Thanks for that. I'll try contacting them both after the weekend. I'll look up honey fungus first as it will help knowing what I'm talking about.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal