Author Topic: I'm Planning on Hatching Chicks I have an Incubator, what else do I need?  (Read 2848 times)

amberlove

• Not So New ...
Hi, i'm planning hatching Chicks but need somen advice on what to do when they are born and what sort of lamp I need! ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
quote author=amberlove link=topic=44097.msg441647#msg441647 date=1216638510]
Hi, i'm planning hatching Chicks but need somen advice on what to do when they are born and what sort of lamp I need! ;D
[/quote]

Well, they need to be kept warm and that means around 38C for the first few days. I used my electric plant propagator plus a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.
You could make your own 'brood' chamber of course and get a suitable bulb to heat it. I also made my own out of plywood and used a ceramic bulb (about £14 though). Better than the infra-red as they have to be on 24 hours and the chicks can't tell if its day or night. I provided a cardboard shelter so they can get away from the direct heat - they seem to like that.
Just beware that the ceramic bulbs are hot to the touch (they look the same whether they are on or off)- I burned a hole in my favourite fleece just brushing past it :'(

Watch the temp - don't cook them! Keep away from sunny windows.  After 10 days you could lower the temp a bit.

For water initially used an old ash tray with marbles in - so the chicks can't drown - they fall asleep all over the place! When they are a bit steadier on their feet I use an old gerbil drinker - does not get so messy.

Chick crumbs should also be available too - they don't often eat for the first 24/36 hours but simpler if food is always there.

After a few days things will start to get messy - they poo everywhere and you end up cleaning the water 10 times a day!.
I have found sawdust/wood-shavings to be quite absorbent and use that after a few days.

They are so much fun to watch - enjoy!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
If your incubator has a smooth bottom, on day 18 put a sheet of fine sandpaper in, this helps the chicks legs and you dont get sprayed legs  not a easy thing to cure.
I also use my garden propergator which is the same temp as inc. first few days vents closed then open them. after a week I prop open the back of the top for more air.
I use saucers for water and chick crumbs sprinkle a few chick crumbs in the water this learns them to drink.
Kitchen roll is handy as your forever changing it, when the chicks leave the propergator I have a large hamster cage and line it with newspaper as my chicks are in the conservoty wood shavings create a mess they get it everywhere.
Hatching is wonderfull and doing it yourself so hands on you get to know the chicks so well they see you as mother hen watch out for pooy bums and with wet cotten wool balls are easy to clean.
fresh firtile eggs can hatch out a day or so earlier eggs not so fresh can hatch out up to four days later.
Try and get a candler to watch them grow inside the shell best thing I bought also the duds you can get rid of before they explode and damage the rest.
from the pipping to the hatch the rush it gives you just like being a mum all over again ha ha. enjoy

chicken andy

Hi
just hatched some chicks 2 weeks ago put in a cage under light .  After a few days turn light of ln day and just on at night. due to warm weather  now after 2 weeks put in a rabbit run outside in day time with small shelter. Hope this is helpfull.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
hiya, chicken andy, welcome to a4a,  ;D
we'll have lots of questions for everyone with chickens soon  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal