Author Topic: Help with bees nest please?  (Read 2150 times)

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
Help with bees nest please?
« on: July 28, 2008, 17:52:33 »
I wondered whether anyone may be able to help me? I've recently taken on a new allotment which I've been clearing over the last week or so. I've found what appears to be a bees' nest in the ground. At first I thought it must be wasps, but having inspected the residents more closely I'm certian that they're bees.

Now I'm all in favour of bees, and certainly don't want to kill the little creatures, but at the same time I don't want them in the middle of my asparagus bed! Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to get them to move on, or get them removed without harming them?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Help with bees nest please?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 18:32:38 »
If you can work around it for now they will move on in late summer/early autumn.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:40:45 »
Thanks for your help - I think working around them sounds like the best plan. Forgive me for being ignorant - but where do they go when they move on?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:46:15 »
Someone elses lotty!

Old Bird

;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:09 »
Might be worth contacting your local/county bee keepers association.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 18:41:57 »
Bumblebees (presumably that's what we're talking about) don't exactly move on. At the end of the season, the queen produces drones, and some of the female larvae are so well fed that they develop into fertile queens. The old queen stops laying, and the whole nest dies off. The only survivors are the young queens, now mated. They hibernate in the remains of the nest, then fly off in early spring to start new nests.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:56 »
Hi Oakmore, Hi all,  :)

I had a busy bees nest in the ground next to my strawberries last year. I didn`t bother them and they didn`t bother me even when I was picking fruit. They were in and out of a hole large enough to get my hand in (should I have been so inclined) That was the third hole in the ground bees nest I`ve had close proximity to on my plots but it was by far the busiest. They`ve gone now and I have missed their comings and goings this year.

Intrestingly being so close to them all last summer I was able to identify by sight three different types of bee on my plot. They seem to like comfry and nasturtiums on my plots. No shortage here.

I warned people about the nest in case they were allergic to a sting and the risk of putting their foot in the hole but I`m not and no-one else was so it was never a problem. I say live and let live.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Gillyflower58

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 23:45:20 »
Bumblebees nest in the ground, leave them alone as they are getting to be like hedgehogs, a bit of a rarity.  They'll move on soon enough. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal