Author Topic: Lakemont Grape pruning  (Read 2928 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Lakemont Grape pruning
« on: July 17, 2008, 18:15:29 »

These are pictures of a grape vine (one year old) in a greenhouse.  Should I prune it and if so how ?

The second picture btw should be the other way up.  I am not sure how to do that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 18:18:37 by davholla »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lakemont Grape pruning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:52:49 »
I follow the basic ideas from "Fruit Expert"  :-[
As a rule of thumb I cut back side shoots after two bunches of flowers... once I can see grapes I thin this to the better bunch, and prune off any new growth, which needs doing now on mine!!. Then thin down the grapes in each bunch, not really needed in a seedless variety like Lakemont... but gives bigger grapes..  :)

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:58 »
I follow the basic ideas from "Fruit Expert"  :-[
As a rule of thumb I cut back side shoots after two bunches of flowers... once I can see grapes I thin this to the better bunch, and prune off any new growth, which needs doing now on mine!!. Then thin down the grapes in each bunch, not really needed in a seedless variety like Lakemont... but gives bigger grapes..  :)
I don't have any flowers yet though - so I just let it keep growing ?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 15:06:41 »
It depends on how you want the grapevine to look when it's fully grown. If you want it as an ornamental type of a vine, say, to look nice in the back garden and provide a bit of shade in the summer and are not too worried about quantity/size of grapes, then let it do it's own thing and keep growing. I would say that whatever you do want it to be, it definitely needs a larger pot or putting direct into the ground in late autumn when the leaves have dropped.
One way of starting to train it would be to examine it, and choose the thickest and most vigorous stem emerging from the soil, and cut out all the rest. (assuming yours is multi stemmed at the moment, I can't really see). There is a lot of growing still to do this season, so that stem will get longer and thicken up. Probably you'd want it to continue getting longer during next year too. Once it gets to the height you want (and the height you choose will be influenced by where it's going to be supported) then cut it just above a leaf node. This should stimulate that stem to fattening up a bit more, and also you will find that sideshoots start emerging from it, and also it will throw out new growth just around where you cut it. At this point you can start to manipulate the shape of the vine.
Have a look at the pictures on this link, which show a youngish vine which has been trained fairly clearly: http://www.honeyflowfarm.com/grapeproject/grapeproject.php

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 20:45:36 »
I want grapes.  However as it a greenhouse grape.  I am not sure if I can be planted in the soil because of lack of space where the greenhouse is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal