Author Topic: Mange-Tout  (Read 1937 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Mange-Tout
« on: July 16, 2008, 14:59:41 »
I seem to remember a good thread last year, Tim contributed, re using pea pods for soup.  I am wanting to use mangetouts but wandered whether I still needed to try and take the inner sliver of skin off, or just use the whole pod has any one any thoughts?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Mange-Tout
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 15:24:31 »
If you're making soup, you'll presumably liquidise & sieve, in which case you just use the whole pod.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 15:39:24 »
I'm just cooking up this recipe:-

PEA-POD SOUP

500g/1 lb pea pods, topped and tailed
15g/½ oz butter
30ml/2tbls chopped onion
3-4 large outside lettuce leaves
850m;/1½ pint chicken stock
150ml/5fl oz thin cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
croutons or finely chopped chives

1.   Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a very low heat, and the chopped onion, cover and leave them to sweat for 8-10 minutes.  Do not allow the onions to brown.
2.   Add the pea-pods, lettuce leaves and stock to the pan and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until tender.
3.   Puree the mixture in a blender.  To serve the soup hot, return it to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper, add the cream and reheat it without boiling.  Served in warm bowls with croutons.
4.   To serve cold, chill the soup in the fridge for 2 hours, then skim off any fat.  Divide the soup between bowls, swirl a little cream into the top of each bowl of soup, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.

Thought I'd give it a try.  It seems such a waste to throw the pods out (even though they are going on the compost heap ;D).  Smells delicious.  Haven't decided whether to serve it hot or cold yet.

I agree with Trevor_D, use the whole pods.

valmarg

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 16:00:54 »
I agree as well - lovely recipe, I'd be tempted to put a ham hock in  :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:35:34 »
Thanks Valmarg just what I was looking for, now if I can just find my stock pot!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal