Author Topic: sauerkraut?  (Read 1324 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
sauerkraut?
« on: July 16, 2008, 14:09:44 »
As I have planted lots of lovely cabbages for the winter, I was wondering if anyone here has ever made their own sauerkraut?
In France we eat a lot of it, well in some parts at least, under the name of choucroute. I have a method, you simply shred and salt the cabbage then pack it down under pressure so it ferments in its own juice, ready in about 4 - 6 weeks. Sounds foul but in fact it has a light, salty acidic flavour. You then cook it with sausages (or about half a pig if making a choucroute garnie alsacienne!!!). It keeps fermenting so you just pullsome out whenever you need it then pack it down again.
It's the under pressure bit that stumps me - what could I make it in? you spread a clean cloth then a piece of wood or some other hard cover then you weigh it down with bricks!! I thought of some kind of bucket but then what to cover it with? It must always be held under the juices to anaerobically ferment. SOunds like just the sort of thing you resourceful folks would like to fanny round with.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: sauerkraut?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 18:50:16 »
Antipodes, I used to make it until a couple of years ago. I used a  5 gallon stone crock, cover it with sterile muslin, then put a plate on the top which should be just under the fluid the cabbage lets out( after about 1 day). Put  a weight on the plate.  I used to use a canning jar filled with water .You need to skim it daily to remove the scum which will weaken the brine if left  there,and at the same time change the cloth and the jar. Needs to be about 70f while fermenting but after it is done it is better to be kept much lower at about 35f.  The plate should be a fairly good fit in the container.I had a wooden lid on the crock.

Keep a close eye on it, if it gets slimy, chuck it and try again when it is not so hot. Under 68f fermentation will be slower, over 72 and you risk it spoiling.

It will bubble while it is fermenting, when it finishes it will be a clear pale colour.

Types of cabbage are important too, and be sure the salt quantities are accurate.

Good luck.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: sauerkraut?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 17:03:22 »
that sounds like just the ticket! jars with water on top - brilliant! I guess I could try with a small quantity and see how it goes? Thanks for the temperature trick! Sounds like a good activity for the long winter nights!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal