Author Topic: Griping!  (Read 4500 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Griping!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 08:46:50 »
LOL Grannie Annie!! Well it was late in the evening and my bed was calling ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:24 »
When I was in Bristol in the Seventies, female shop assistants used to address you as "my lover"  - took a bit of getting used to :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 10:57:42 »
I think I'd prefer that to 'you a'right then?' which is the standard greeting in Estuaryland  ::) ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:03 »
.......call me what you like but don't call me late for my dinner! 
Not really fussed about what I'm called really but find that a lot of people have trouble spelling my name .....it is fairly simple I think Valerie.  I remember when I started school and my teacher insisted it was spelled Valarie.....wrong!
twinkletoes

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 12:50:53 »
I was Lynne so that noone could shorten it, they lengthen it instead Lynnnnneeeeee, what I really dislike is being called Linda, i am a real Lynne and i hate DEAR!!!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 16:02:44 »
my name is Deborah but only a few older people call me that or me mum when im in trouble its debbie or debs to everyone else deborah makes me think im in trouble
Hahahaha that made me LOL, cos being a "Deborah" myself, if that is used, it is usually by my Mum and I have done something BAD!
I really HATE that I introduce myself as Deb, and they then say Debbie, I am not a Debbie, I do not look like a Debbie and I DID NOT introduce myself as Debbie!

My experience too....must be a common thing when you are a Deborah!  ;D ;D ;D
What peeves me is when people spell it Debra..."how can it have an 'h' in it?"........ grrrrr! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 18:23:57 »
dont mind my first name what really gripes me is when you hear men calling there partners/wifes our lass GRRRRR
or 'the missus', 'the wife'  bit like 'the dog', really

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 19:14:02 »
Call me what you like, as long as it's not late for dinner!! ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 11:59:17 »
Ay-up yooth
Now then cocker
Ay-up midduck
Owya goinonn then serri
Are phrases i use to greet people but then i was born and raised in a small village in Nottinghamshire. :)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 12:22:12 »
Have to say that it does nothingfor potential sales when I walk into a shop and someone, should they bother looking up at all, mumbles something like "alright mate?".  If I get a nice cheary "May I help you sir?"  oreven just a "Good morning, how may I halp you?" I'm much more likely to spend my money there.

For instance I went into a well known branch of electrical stores recently with a view to spending a fair bit of money.  When someone finally got around to coming to serve me I just got an "alright?".  He then proceeded to mumble his way through explanations of things that I was interested in while chewing on his gum at the same time and trying to continue another conversation with his friend.  I decided to go elsewhere. 

I guess it's just that you get used to what you are brought up with. 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 12:55:30 »
We went to a well know electrical store too, to buy a tele. All the assistants were standing in a group chatting. My husband asked if he could join in as no-one wanted to serve us! Eventually a yoof thought he might help us but he was no help at all, nor was the manager. We complained by email and got a voucher for £25  and an apology :o.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 16:22:12 »
Guy on my plot comes past and says "That'll do lass, that'll do"  ;D  Feel like the pig in Babe rofl

pmsl ;D
1st name for me too  ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 16:45:52 »
If someone calls me mrs p******* I look behind me for M-I-L would get a awfull shock if I saw her,she,s been dead 20 years ;D I prefer being calles margaret or anynickname for it (and there are a lot but how do they get peggy?)
I have got a young voice and people on the phone don,t know I,m 61 so how are they to know I,m a "older" person if fact it,s quite enjoyable to be chatted up
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 17:30:02 »
Nice for you other marg. Me? I have a deep voice and OFTEN get called SIR on the telephone. It does make me giggle when I inform them that I am female and then they apologize and blame it on a bad line :)

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 20:09:07 »
I often reply that "If I was a 'madam' I would be very rich"!!! lol

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 20:29:16 »
 ;D ;D ;D