Author Topic: Spring Onions  (Read 5926 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Spring Onions
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 17:31:37 »
Not shallots. They're grown from the same sets as my maincrop onions. I do have some shallot sets, so I'll be trying to grow spring onions from them a bit later in the year.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 17:54:17 »
I'm catching up - they just look like Shallots - all bulb. Or can you use the stem? Whichever, great to have some fresh stuff, but not the same flavour.

Quite often, bought onions sprout & the sprouts are quite useful to have in the freezer.
You were lucky to have some sets over - not cheap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 23:07:42 »
I use the lot. I bought sets from a different source this year, and I suspect they were smaller; I got 2 kg rather than 3, and still ended up with a load of spares.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 23:36:37 »
Great suggestion Robert!  I had a spare net of onion sets in the shed and have just dibbed them in for spring onions.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 19:18:27 »
I grow what i was told are Russian onions, i was given a bunch a few years ago the bunch turned out like this[attachment=1]

Spot the difference Shallots and Russian onions[attachment=2]

End result for the Russian onions, the shallots got captured on the way home[attachment=3]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 19:26:43 »
Great - but certainly no Shallots there!

jo9919

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 19:34:47 »
Thanks for your replies.

OK, I'm at a total loss now. My spring onions were planted from seed, White Lisbon. So, you can actually sow spring onions from sets? Do they have a better 'bulb' to them?

I don't want huge onions to cook with, just something to go in my cheese sarnies  :P

Sorry, daft questions I presume, novice here  ::)

Jo.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 19:39:05 »
Great - but certainly no Shallots there!
The bottom bunch is Shallots Tim

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 19:55:50 »
Thanks for your replies.

OK, I'm at a total loss now. My spring onions were planted from seed, White Lisbon. So, you can actually sow spring onions from sets? Do they have a better 'bulb' to them?

I don't want huge onions to cook with, just something to go in my cheese sarnies  :P

Jo.
JO TEE GEE and myself had a discussion on the Russian Onions and we concluded they are Welsh Onions, i called them Russian Onions cos they rushed all over the garden.
To stop your confusion.
SPRING ONION, Are grown from seed.
SHALLOTS,            Are grown from sets
WELSH ONION.    Are grown from transplants, you dig up a bunch take off what         you want and put back what you dont want to grow on and multiply

DAVY

jo9919

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 20:12:30 »
Thanks for your replies.

Jo.
JO TEE GEE and myself had a discussion on the Russian Onions and we concluded they are Welsh Onions, i called them Russian Onions cos they rushed all over the garden.
To stop your confusion.
SPRING ONION, Are grown from seed.
SHALLOTS,            Are grown from sets
WELSH ONION.    Are grown from transplants, you dig up a bunch take off what         you want and put back what you dont want to grow on and multiply

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

So....back to my original question then, spring onions grown from seed, do they bulb up at all? My White Lisbon seem to have a bit of white at the bottom but aren't bulbing. Should I just leave them longer?

Jo.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 20:26:46 »
JO, It depends on what Spring Onions you grow, White Lisbon do tend to bulb so dont grow them. I favor the Japanese Bunching onion like Shamoto or Isakura. which dont bulb.

DAVY

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 12:20:33 »
i grew spring onions for the first time last year - ad in hindsight probably wasnt the best year to start! Anyway they germinated well but grew very slowly. So slowly in fact that from a summer sowing they were still not big enough to use come autumn. I basicaly gave up on them and left them in the ground all winter (no protection). Come the spring i wanted to clear the ground for replanting. The onions were still fine so rather than compost them they were harvested. Too tough for salads but they made a great soup!

The point is that by the time they were harvested they were not much bigger than the size I had expected them to grow to the previous summer. I guess they didnt like the dull wet summer last year.

I am trying them again this year and hoping for a much quicker crop this time. The thing i like about them the most though is, of all the crops I grow they are the most reliable germinating from direct sown seed. Other seed is very hit and miss, but spring onions always seem to come up.

PS: the variety was 'Guardsman' i think .

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 15:06:19 »
The thing i like about them the most though is, of all the crops I grow they are the most reliable germinating from direct sown seed. Other seed is very hit and miss, but spring onions always seem to come up.

PS: the variety was 'Guardsman' i think .
I have only ever had one successful year with spring onions, and they were direct sown.  That was on my previous plot - the same year I was clearing it! ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 15:21:50 »
KT. If you care to venture North along the coast road i could solve growing Spring onions for you. By the carrier bag full.

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 15:31:45 »
KT. If you care to venture North along the coast road i could solve growing Spring onions for you. By the carrier bag full.

Would love to, but the distance between us is too great at the moment.  Working away.........   Miles: 2730    Kilometers: 4411
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 15:38:59 »

Would love to, but the distance between us is too great at the moment.  Working away.........   Miles: 2730    Kilometers: 4411

Sandpit, Just can,t get rid of the flipping things.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 16:04:56 by davyw1 »

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 17:14:21 »
Sorry, Davy - thought you meant Shallot Shallots - not Spring Onion Shallots!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 18:14:55 »
Tim, I did mean Shallots as in Shallots
[attachment=1]

And not Spring Onions as in Scallions
[attachment=2]

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 20:17:48 »
Just LOVE your pictures, but I still see your Shallots as more like Spring Onions than your 'ripe' photo!!

Whichever, I'm sure they are all enjoyed?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 20:25:47 »
Just LOVE your pictures, but I still see your Shallots as more like Spring Onions than your 'ripe' photo!!

Whichever, I'm sure they are all enjoyed?
I have to agree could be the way i grow them in depth about 4" and back filled as they grow to try and get more white.

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal