Author Topic: My First Allotment...Lottie!  (Read 10045 times)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
My First Allotment...Lottie!
« on: November 18, 2003, 15:47:11 »
Hi to all you Lottie folks :)

I have just had a quick look around the site for some tips and there are far to many to take in all at once, so I was wondering if you folks could give me some pointers.

PS.. well done for the site it is fantastic :D :D :D

I just found out yesterday that I am to get my first allotment...since then I have been over the moon ;D ;D

The allotment is in a bad state at the moment and has not been tended for at least 18 months (I know this cos the lottie backs on to our house and I have been trying for 18 months to get the d**n thing) with weeds everywhere (don't even know what kinds of weeds I am so new to this...but I just can't wait to get stuck in)

So far all that is in the lottie is:
1. 2 sheds...that must be a good start.
2. Weeds...lots of the little beggars.
3.  Brambles...which you all have by the sounds of it. I want to keep some of these as they remind me of my youth back in Cumbria....aaghh them hills!!
4.  A huge pile of rubbish...consisting of the plastic bumper off the front of  a car,  old rusty wheelbarrows and heaps of other rusting metallic objects.

My first question is what do I do first. Apart from a couple of trips to the local tip with the rubbish.

I have read that you all started with strimming then weeding those roots out....I know this will take a while so do i fully weed the whole lottie or do i concentrate on getting say one whole area completely weeded then move on to the next.

I also need to start a composting area, how do I do this so that it will provide the best environment for my compost?

I have had a look into some of the other lotties nearby and some have what looks like tarpaulins covering up areas...what is this for? And should I be doing it also?

I realise that I have just jibbered on for an age an you probably wont read it this far but if anyone can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.....

Hear from you all soon..

fellow lottie

Les
;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

clare

• Quarter Acre
  • If anyone wants me I'll be at my lottie!
Re: My First Allotment...Lottie!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 16:26:52 »
Hi Les, welcome to lotties4all .... and congratulations on finally getting the lottie you wanted!  must be great to have it right next to your house :)  It really is a great feeling when you get your lottie - I'm still on cloud nine and have even started eyeing up the plot next door  ::)

I'm fairly new to the lottie world myself - had my plot for about 2 months now.

In terms of what to do first and how much to do .... I'd advise you to take it at your own pace.  Little and often seems to be the best approach.. you don't want to do so much digging at the beginning that you ache too much to do anymore!  It's also better for your motivation if you set yourself smallish manageable chunks of work to do!

I think the tarpaulins on other lotties are probably being used to suppress weeds.

hope this helps - I'm sure some of the other members can answer your other questions... never be afraid of asking questions, someone will always have an answer!

Oh, and don't worry about jibbering away.... there's always plenty of jibbering going on here!!  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 16:32:30 »
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!  (on finding us, and your lottie!  ;D)  it is addictive, and knackering and you will have good and bad days, but take it all in your stride, don't try to do toooo much at once otherwise it will become a chore and not a joy.

I am no expert, there are lots of them here, but for what it's worth, I think I would get rid of all the rubbish first.  The tarps that you said other lottie holders have down are to keep the weeds down, I don't do this myself, prefer to let the weather do the business.  As for compost heaps, well there are a few postings about where is best.  Mine is in partial shade, is as big as we had enough pallets to build, and is full and covered with carpet to keep it snug!  You are so lucky - 2 sheds!!  We don't yet have one, and I refuse to buy one so we are keeping an eye out currently.  When I first started, I just started in one corner and slowely but surely worked my way up the plot - took weeks and weeks and hours and hours and my hands were sore, I had stinging nettle rash EVERYWHERE  :o, but now it is done!

I am sure you will be bombarded with advice from every corner - listen to what other lottie holders on your site say, if they have been there for years, they will know the soil and growing conditions and can help.

All the best
Emma

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 20:20:25 »
quick welcome but must go now - teenagers demanding use of computer. will post later. Well done! cheers, Suzy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 20:52:14 »
Welcome Les, I have found that the best way to clear is little and often. Set yourself a small area each time you go up and get them weeds out! (when I took mine on I had dock roots the size of large parsnips!! :o) It is so disheartening if you launch in all over the place as it never looks like you are getting anywhere! On my newly aquired addition to my plot, I have hacked back about 5 feet of brambles, and clearing that area in blocks.( covering it up afterwards, so it does not get too waterlogged so I can work on it whenever I want) Saves me back and hopefully will be able to get some potatoes in that area at least in the Spring.
lucky you on backing onto your lottie!! tea on tap,& no getting caught short!! And 2 sheds, I can only dream of not having a car full of tools!! BLISS!!  Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 22:11:36 »
Hi Les and welcome,
What luck to get it next to the house and two sheds realy good.
The wheelbarrow rusty it may be but if it works greese it and being rusty no one will pinch it?
Check other rusty items they may be tools for the lottie hoe's etc with a sharpen good as new. No idea about the car bumper what it could be used for.
Tarpaulins will supress weeds also keep moisture in the soil you also see them over compost heeps to keep the heat in to rot down.
You might even find the last ocupants compost heap if your lucky.
But start digging one end and work your way back slowly this way you can see what you have done. Also check to see if they have any manure delivered. Do you have waterbutts with having two sheds?
Keep an eye out for rhubarb crowns which would have died down now if your not sure as a fellow lottie holder.
but most of all have fun.
Teresa

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 23:10:33 »
Hi Les....welcome from me too......I've had my lottie about 4 weeks now.......it's completely covered in layers & layers of old carpet except for middle section of about 20/25ft. which has an assortment of different sized fruit trees and bushes (species unknown as yet).....some very dead - I think!....and totally choked with grass/weeds etc. I've made a start working away from the centre section one way.....WHEN that's done....will work from the other side......will tackle bit in middle as & when I feel able to.....need advice on that!.....you are so lucky having TWO sheds....and so close to home...I've not got a shed yet but have met a nice lottie neighbour whose letting me use his shed to store my fork (my only tool so far) in!....it is exciting and I wish you lots of luck with yours.....little & often as everyone says is the best way I'm sure.....this is a great site and everyone is very helpful and fun too!!.....you'll be in for some surprises I'm sure.....I was!  :o have a look around and you'll see what I mean!!... :-[....H.P.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 11:18:48 »
congratulations!

no advice at all here as i am new to this and either make it up as i go along or ask everyone here for advice! who knows what you've got under the weeds and brambles - i found a fruit cage plus a load of other fruit bushes, rhubarb, comfrey and globe artichokes!!

i would definitely recommend strimming it so you can see the ground first, that should make a huge psychological difference!

let us know how you get on

Jo

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 14:55:36 »
Thank you one and all for your replies.   ;)  

I am overwhelmed as to how many of you have given me advice and encouragement.... I can't wait until the weekend so I can get on the lottie and have a bash.  

Looks like I will have some hard work ahead of me....but as everyone keeps saying it will be so rewarding, what with nettle rashes, blisters, aching back and legs.....I really can't wait ::) ::)

Take care all.....and I'll keep you informed as to how things are going..

Les.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 20:52:48 »
Have fun, but check out the Tetanus thread on these boards.
Eric
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 00:11:28 »
aaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh tetanus!  I knew there was something when I was at the quacks the other day!   >:(

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 00:19:48 »
Hi there Les,

I will second the advice about doing little and often. Get your head down and ignore the bigger picture. As soon as you actually get right down to soil level, it all looks very different. I tend to flailabout with a fork, lifting and loosening as much as possible then I get my daisy grubber and hand fork and start sifting through the roots.
Get something to kneel on - I use an old hot water bottle filled with sand - and get to know your soil. Sometimes, I come away having only cleared maybe 2 square metres -but think what you can actually plant in that space.
I have planted a few bulbs as I am looking forward to some scent and colour once the action starts hotting up. However, you havegotyour plot at the best possible time - you have the winter to get your soil in good heart and do stuff like constructing a compost bin and bean trench.
Don't break your back - it will all get done eventually - it is much more important to have a good time than to achieve miracles.
Introduce yourself to fellow plot owners - it is amazing what they know (and can usually offer freebies such as strawberry runners, hardwood cuttings, seedlings etc.
All in all, it is a marvellous adventure which, for me at least, fills a million needs - creative, nurturing, designing, eating, learning all the time.
Enjoy.
Suzy

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 11:28:03 »
Hi Suzy

Thanks for the advice.  What exactly is a bean trench?  :-[

We have got some ideas from the boards regarding the compost bins so that is in hand.....

We are about to start clearing the lottie and so ideas as to when to do what is greatly appreciated.

Take care all

Les
::)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 12:40:47 »
See also "Crop Rotation and Double Digging" on p.6 of this Board
great piece by Hugh
Teresa

rewsal

• Not So New ...
  • One day i'll grow something
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 02:15:12 »
Wecome Les,
                   like alot of others here I have only had my Plot for about 6 weeks, so there are many here in just the same boat as you egar to get on but with little experence.But luckerly there are loads of really great and helpfull folk on this site who are happy to share all their knowledgewith you just ask the questions.
I agree with the little at a time school,so far i have just cleared off the the wilderness and rough dug a few beds ready for winter to do its work.good luck with the lottie ,two sheds that is a bonus :D. Look forward to hearing about your progess

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2003, 11:25:18 »
Hello Les, brand new allotmenteer. Congratulations. Half of your problems are solved just by finding this place. If you look at the top of the page, you see search button, I found this to be very helpful and it will save you a lot of time when you want to look around old threads for additional information.

Good luck and keep us updated. Everyone here will support you but the work you'll have to do yourself hahaha. If you have a digi-camera or can scan your paper pictures, please post some on the gallery for everybody to see if you want to. All the best, Ina

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2003, 15:24:46 »
Yes I have only had my allotment since the end of September and because I work full time it is slow going. (Why oh why will it insist on raining at the weekend!!)

But, I will post some photos soon of what the plot looks like, we have made some really good progress just by doing a little bit at a time, and if you live near a swimming pool going swimming after digging seems to keep the aches and pains away!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2003, 21:52:36 »
Hi Les
A bean trench is just that - a trench - mine is about 2 spades depth and 2 spits wide -width of spade=1 spit. I dump all my organic waste - stuff I would usually compost - and half fill the trench. I cover with soil as I fill every couple of feet but some people leave theirs open till spring and then cover. When you plant runner beans,, pop them into the covering soil - this will be the foundation of a permanent bed for them (other legumes need rotation).
This has been covered by those with much more expertise than me further down- think back a couple of pages to 'Well Rotted Manure' started by Ciderself (I think)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 12:33:58 »
Thanks Campanula for the advise on the bean trench and thanks to DoubleDutch for the encouragement.

We are really looking forward to getting things going and we will be posting pics of how things change on the lottie.

Take care all

Les

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2003, 12:38:11 »
Well Hello and Merry Christmas to you all.

Its been a long time since I last posted a message but dont council's just really get on your nerves! :-X

It has taken until this week for the allotment officer of the council to finally send the Tenancy Agreement out.  

We were not allowed to get on with all the plans we had made as he informed us that the plot was still let to someone even though it had not been tended for years and the present tenant was in breech of his tenancy.

So finally with days to go before Santa comes and causes havoc in the household we have finally got the allotment, but no key to it.  So it is still out of bounds.......so much to do and so little time to do it!!!!!!!! ??? ???

Apart from that we have all the ideas of what we need to get done and hopefully weather permitting we will get on with it.

Heres to a fantastic 2004 for all you lottie folk.

Take care all

Les.
Frustraded Lottie Holder (at the moment anyway).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal