Author Topic: My First Allotment...Lottie!  (Read 10046 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: My First Allotment...Lottie!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 15:53:44 »
All the best, Les and hope you get that key before the ground freezes over?

Flip side has got to be, tho, that if you can't get in to your lottie, casual vandals can't either?

Unlike EJ and her 'security gate' - go take a look in The Gallery.

Hope you'll drop in at the Party tonight - Lishka
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2003, 02:01:26 »
Hiya Les, and a merry Christmas to you and yours!  Make sure you get onto that council Monday morning before they all down tools for the Christmas break otherwise 2004 will be trotting along before you can get down to your new plot! As Lish says, we had to get such a big bunch of keys to get in through out gate!  ;)  To be honest, I don't think our gate will make it much into 2004!  The ivy and hawthorns growing around the post and moved it so much that it is barely hanging now! I can see a job for Ava, after he has fixed me up with a shed, a water system, a mini bar, barby........etc......etc...... ;D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 11:18:48 »
Happy New Year to you all  :D :D

Hope you have all recovered from the recent celebrations.... We are both back at work and hating every minute of it, but we have finally got the Key..... I want a job on the council they get so much time off its unbelievable :-/

Santa was good to us and brought lots of lottie tools and books...so we spent the break deciding what was to be done when we got the chance to get in.

So Saturday it is, the Woof family outing to the lottie.... ::) ::)

We will be taking some pics of the lottie to show you all the starting point and will keep you all updated as to how things progress.....If your lucky you might even get to see someone elses blisters to remind you all of how things used to be...... :o

Take care all and see you soon.

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Steve__C

• Not So New ...
[b][/b][u][/u][u][Re: My First Allotment...Lottie!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 19:45:04 »
Les,
I have seen many comments on the attached notes referring to "little and often".
As you have just bought new tools for your lottie I assume you have not done a lot of gardening before.
Therefore for you a little digging means only half an hour.
By all means spend more time preparing etc but not digging, otherwise on Sunday you will be in pain.
Good Luck and Enjoy.
Regards
Steve

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2004, 19:53:09 »
Didn't you get the large bottle of Radox.A good soak in a hot bath is my tip when you've done.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 10:23:37 »
Hi BB

took your advise on board and purchased the said Radox.

Didn't do any work over the weekend just soaked in the bath.  Seemed to be the best way to prepare as preparation seems to be the key :D :D

Angela

• covered in muck as always
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2004, 23:51:37 »
Hello Everyone!

I've just been browsing as I went to see my first ever allotment plot yesterday and I am really excited!  I don't know when I'll actually get started though as it all depends on the council, doesn't it?!  Its quite a small plot, which is ideal and about 5 minutes walk away (handy as I don't drive) AND I CAN'T WAIT!!  I've been talking my partner to death about my plans, so its a releif to find other enthusiasts too!

Ina-how do you do the cool moving photo thing with the cat?!!

And can anyone recommend the first essential tools?  I managed to grow potatoes and tomatoes once before but that's my only experience  (oh dear this could all go the way of the pear!!)

Thanks
Angela

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2004, 11:38:11 »
I acquired my allotment in late October last year, and every weekend (when not raining) I have been digging away.  I found the tools I have needed are wheelbarrow (no shift the weeds and grass from the newly cultivated beds), a nice shiney Spear and Morgan fork (which is my favourite) a hand trowl, hand folk and secuteurs (for next doors pesky bramballs.  I much prefer fork to spade as its too much like hard work.  Too be honest that is all I need so far.  I am however saving toilet roll inners to plant my beans in and have aquired some plug trays for planting in the spring.  I think that is all I will need on the equiptment front.

No doubt someone will disagree.  Ohh yes and I have a hoe, nearly forgot.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:01 by -1 »

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2004, 14:24:12 »
Have read all that has been said and consensus says 'little often'[/i] and I agree

For encouragement  have a look in my website, at my allotments page in the gallery (plot 2) and see how I coped with mine from scratch

I found digging in bed formation gave planting space much sooner. i.e. as the beds were dug I could plant them out.

The thought of things growing while I was digging elsewhere gave me great comfort, and made the thought of all the digging I still had to do, less daunting.

The Gardener

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2004, 20:20:56 »
I got my half-plot in September and did it the 'fairly' lazy way - got rid of the rubbish, hoed everything in site, covered the lot with heavy duty black plastic liner.  I've been undergoing the process of pulling liner back, throwing what compost I've got in the right bits and putting the black plastic back.  In my defence (why am I so defensive) my soil has the texture of oatmeal so has probably been dug to death in seasons past.

Piglet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 22:35:15 »
Hi Les and welcome to all new allotment holders,

I have had my allotment for 3-4 yrs now, if there is any advice I can give its as follows:-

Firstly and most importantly, its not a competition.  There will be people on your site (there definitely is on mine) who have immaculate plots, not a weed in site.  Don't feel you need to aim for that, it would be lovely but will only make you frustrated, as everyone else has said - little and often its not a race.  

Secondly, if you can cover some of the other areas you are not digging this year with plastic, carpet anything you can get your hands on.  This will keep down / kill off the weeds in those areas and also stop them from growing and setting seed which will then blow onto the area(s) you have dug.  (i.e. dot leaves).

Thirdly potatoes are supposed to be good for clearing ground, my plot had loads of couch grass which is a very long job digging it all out, but planting potates did seem to help (not sure why, but who cares).

The most important thing is enjoy to yourselves!   :D

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 11:54:16 »
Hi All!

We got our lottie at the start of April last year. Been Waiting nearly two years. No time to plan, as we heared about it on the Friday, joined up on the Saturday and got working straight away.

Bit-by-bit is definitely the way to go.

We marked out where the beds would be with string and tent pegs first. Then we weeded and dug the one nearest the shed. Two of us took about two hours.

Then the best bit - I planted the herbs we had baught in B&Q the day before whilst buying fork, spade etc.

As we worked on more of the plot, we only had to look at that bed all planted up and looking happy to keep us going!

Starting late (not much time to prepare the ground!), we still got wonderful crops in our first year. Didn't think I had time to get courgettes in, but was offered a couple of plants by one of the friendly bunch on our site - they were wonderful.

I've spent time this winter planning the varieties we're going to grow this year and can't wait to get going.

To any fellow newbies, don't kill yourself by doing too much. Plant up beds as you clear them, and the sight of healthy growing plants will give you encouragement as you clear the rest of the jungle!

Happy Growing,

:-* Tricia

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2004, 14:35:09 »
Hi all

Charged and ready to go.... :D

Big push on the lottie this weekend, so many ideas, I am like a coiled spring at the moment.

Take care all

Les

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal