Author Topic: Pedant's Corner  (Read 21175 times)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Pedant's Corner
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2008, 08:40:05 »
If you're going to start a sentence with 'or', I really think you should follow it with a comma and ,perhaps, capitalize.  8)

Is it ever acceptable to begin a sentence with the word "Or"? Surely this does not qualify as a sentence?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:41:55 by Paul Long »
Keep Calm and Carry On

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2008, 08:46:46 »
If you're going to start a sentence with 'or', I really think you should follow it with a comma and ,perhaps, capitalize.  8)

Is it ever acceptable to begin a sentence with the word "Or"? Surely this does not qualify as a sentence?
The next time you read a novel notice that books these days are  often not written in complete sentences which is considered fine because people don't talk in complete sentences, and it helps the story flow more naturally.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:23 »

The next time you read a novel notice that books these days are  often not written in complete sentences which is considered fine because people don't talk in complete sentences, and it helps the story flow more naturally.

And lots of very good novels are not written like that.  Or perhaps they are.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2008, 10:47:49 »
thinking about it as an OCD pedant, there's a real problem with this hard shoulder - since it is made up of sections, it isn't continous, hence can't be discontinuous. Also since these sections aren't touching it isn't contiguous, hence can't be discontiguous. It also isn't disconcatenated, partly because it isn't linked together, and partly because I just made the word up.
So as far as I can think, there is no word that describes the motorway hard shoulder, with or without bits missing

discofever is something else entirely

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2008, 12:24:14 »
thinking about it as an OCD pedant, there's a real problem with this hard shoulder - since it is made up of sections, it isn't continous, hence can't be discontinuous. Also since these sections aren't touching it isn't contiguous, hence can't be discontiguous. It also isn't disconcatenated, partly because it isn't linked together, and partly because I just made the word up.
So as far as I can think, there is no word that describes the motorway hard shoulder, with or without bits missing

discofever is something else entirely

I'm not sure whether this helps or not, but in the jargon of geographic information systems, a motorway hard shoulder would be referred to as a "linear" asset.

If you accept that, then I suppose that continuous and discontinuous would be the best choice to describe something linear.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2008, 12:51:06 »
if the hard shoulder was made out of a single strip of metal, say 100 miles long, then that would be a remarkable thing and would need a word to describe it, and that word would be continuous (or ******* crazy). As the hard shoulder is actually made up of little bits, on the one hand it is not remarkable, and on the other hand it is a different thing, so it needs a different word. None of those words would do. I won't write them as typing "uou" is upsetting. We need a word for something big that's made up of small things that actually aren't touching each other

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2008, 13:31:05 »
conglomeration?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2008, 13:47:30 »
Don't people THINK a shoulder will be continuous and therefor "discontinuous" would be understandable?

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2008, 15:36:01 »
Why do we call it a shoulder?  Do we have motorway arms, or clavicles, or breastbones?

Froglets - about to drive to the top end of the M6 avoiding all body related parts!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2008, 18:21:09 »
dived or dove ?
as in to one side

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2008, 19:18:36 »
Manics, a while ago I read the Melvyn Bragg book 'The Adventure that is English (a biography of a language).

In it was a fantastic poem on the vagaries of the English language.  Offhand the only one I can remember is: the plural of mouse is mice, so why isn't the plural of house hice?

Thoroughly enjoyed the book.

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2008, 20:02:37 »
Is it true that there isn't an English word for the Back of the Knee? back of the head is occiput, but what about the knee  :D

There should be a word for that involuntary twitch your writing arm gives when you're doung Sudoku and you think you've got a number and then immediately realise you're wrong

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2008, 21:17:14 »
There should be a word for that involuntary twitch your writing arm gives when you's it true that there isn't an English word for the Back of the Knee? back of the hre doung Sudoku and you think you've got a number and then immediately realise you're wrong
[/uote]
A word for an involuntary twitch - hows about tic?

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2008, 21:24:19 »
I was thinking of Sudok-Oh-Bugger

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2008, 21:52:39 »
And to go off at a complete pedantic tangent, how about, when you pay for something that is £x.99p, and the shop assistant says, 'and there's one pence change'.

NO!!  Pence is the plural of penny, so there is no such coin as the one pence piece.  It is a penny, ie and a penny change.

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2008, 07:06:08 »
since everything costs £x.99, we should solve the problem by having a 99p coin  ???

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2008, 10:42:06 »
And to go off at a complete pedantic tangent, how about, when you pay for something that is £x.99p, and the shop assistant says, 'and there's one pence change'.

NO!!  Pence is the plural of penny, so there is no such coin as the one pence piece.  It is a penny, ie and a penny change.

valmarg

I know the English English is supposed to be more accurate but in this case I believe American English corrected the problem. The plural of penny is pennies, just as the plural of money is monies.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2008, 14:59:55 »
Sorry GrannieAnnie, the plural of money is moneys.  The 'change the y into i and add es' rule has wrongly been used.  The result would be moneies. ;D

Another word ending in ey is trolley, the plural of which is trolleys.  I you use trollies, I think that's something up North they wear under their kecks. ;D

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2008, 15:15:04 »
the pence thing came about because of decimalisation, when coins stopped having special names. 50 pence, 10 pence, why not 1 pence?

Surely monies is OK? Moneys may be right too, but I'd never say it, I mean write it.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2008, 15:23:13 »
the pence thing came about because of decimalisation, when coins stopped having special names. 50 pence, 10 pence, why not 1 pence?

Surely monies is OK? Moneys may be right too, but I'd never say it, I mean write it.

If you look on the coin it says 'one penny'.

Monies is accepted these days, but grammatically it is wrong.

Anyway, this is 'Pedant's Corner'.  Are you saying I can't be a pedant. ???

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal