Author Topic: my debit card has been cloned!!!!!!!  (Read 10500 times)

debster

• Hectare
Re: my debit card has been cloned!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 20:21:38 »
is nothing safe?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 00:20:07 »
I don't think there's any point reporting it to the police (especially as there's not actually been a crime); but the banks & credit card people need to know.

Sorry i think your wrong this is a crime, the fact it was unsuccesful is neither hear nor there!

The police can only do something if its reported they need the stats to show there is a problem.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 00:33:17 »
My credit card was "got at" last month.  Actually, it started in May, with a small payment immediately credited.  Then nothing till £145 to a flower shop in Barcelona.  I didn't notice this one, and paid the balance in full (note to self - check statement CAREFULLY before paying).  Then I got a phone call, and we went through all the payments I'd made in the last week, and the fraudulent ones were all over the place - Norway, Ryanair, USA, totalling about £1000.  I'm waiting for a form from the bank to sign to say that they weren't my payments, then they'll come off my statement.

The bank then tried to sell me identity theft insurance!
The Tuscan Beaneater

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 00:33:47 »
hang on, please report this, it IS a crime

if people dont report attempts like this how do the police know whats happening

lbb

lol snap (must learn to type faster)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 00:34:39 »
I agree, fraud IS a serious crime.....report it.

I was only thinking the other day how great it was to get your wage packet, cash and payslip on friday every week. When you spent the cash that was it till next week. Now you get clobbered for going 20p overdrawn. AND you could have tick at the local shop, and put a pint on the slate at the local. That was when you could trust people though.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:52 »
I had an issue with someone using my debit card fraudently to make online purchases.  Normally, I would use my credit card bit on one occassion I used my debit to purchase some batteries as it was a small amount - next thing you know all sorts of purchases appeared but luckily I was checking my statement online.  The bank  (LloydsTSB) were excellent, stopped card straight away and refunded money.

If someone took my purchase details then they have my card number, address, 3 digit security code from the back.  They don't need the PIN to purchase online.

Bank advised always use credit card to shop online - it is not coming out of your normal account if there is an issue.

grandmaibb

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 14:17:45 »
Yes we had a problem last year. This was with our credit card, some one tried to buy a car music system in Spain. Credit card company were on the ball and stopped it right away. Nothing lost. But my OH travels alot with his job, all over the world and we have never once been contacted when 'he' uses it abroad. How did they know it wasn't him in Spain?

Grandma Ibb

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 17:37:31 »
This happened to hubby at Christmas when he bought a book from Waterstones website. Obviously their site wasnt secure.

Hubby didnt notice untill 2600 was gone!!!!????
The bank refunded the lot :)

Anyway the upshot is DONT USE A DEBIT CARD.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 10:45:44 »
We have a Nationwide Flex account debit card which we only use for withdrawing cash abroad as there are no charges.  We can only draw out what is in the account so we put in the amount that we are likely to need just before we leave the UK.  This is usually no more than £300 as we pay for most purchases with our Nationwide Credit Card and there are no fees for using that either. 

The debit card for our main bank is only ever used to withdraw cash in the UK so this must limit the chances of OH's salary and our pensions being taken out by some unscrupulous person in a petrol station. 

Apart from standing orders and direct debits, all purchases in the UK are paid for with our credit cards.  We try to shield the number that we enter into the chip and pin machines, but this is not always easy in some supermarkets where the machine is fixed a few feet away from where the customer stands.

So far so good, we haven't had any of our money stolen.  Using Microsoft Money I keep a note of everything spent.  This is then balanced when the statements come in. 

There is one thing that I am a little bit wary about and that is when a credit or debit card has to be left behind the bar when eating and drinking in a pub.  This was done several times when we were in North Wales last week as there were twelve in our party so needed to open up a tab.  Evidently they put it in a jar and then every time more food or drinks are ordered, the bill is put into the jar.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 11:54:56 »
"There is one thing that I am a little bit wary about and that is when a credit or debit card has to be left behind the bar when eating and drinking in a pub.  This was done several times when we were in North Wales last week as there were twelve in our party so needed to open up a tab.  Evidently they put it in a jar and then every time more food or drinks are ordered, the bill is put into the jar"

I simply would not do this. If they wish to let the party set up a tab, then they let you just pay it at the end. If the manager is not happy with this, then they should let you pay upfront.

I have been fortunate so far and not had any problems with card fraud. Ant had his credit card cloned at a petrol station not that long ago. They then tried to use the card for various things, although the bank did pick it up straight away.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 22:10:50 »
the reason i feel there is no point in reporting it is because it was in Peru and im guessing it was sky still taught me a valuable lesson at no monetary cost to me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal