Author Topic: BLOODY WOMAN  (Read 16897 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: BLOODY WOMAN
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 22:32:29 »

Old Bird

If I don't highlight this and register my COMPLETE disapproval of the sentiments expressed, then I am  tacitly agreeing with them - and this I will not/cannot do.

So....hands up and be counted peeps....is physical disability/infirmity an automatic disqualification for having an allotment?

I most certainly, of course, sympathise with Cam and her fellow allotmenteers in this instance, but, sorry, feel the need to disassociate myself from Old Bird's sentiments here
:-[

Actually, I think you need to think this through a bit more.

Anyone who, by virtue of disinclination or disability, is unwilling or unable to look after an allotment shouldn't take one on.

However you cut it, to do so is just selfish.

So COMPLETE (as you put it) disapproval is just wrong.

Fair enough to say that if you're lame, blind, deaf, or sick of the palsy, that shouldn't disqualify you from keeping an allotment.

But to say, as you seem to be saying, that cripples should have an absolute right to have an allotment, neglect it, then kill the plants on neighbouring plots is hardly justifiable.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 22:36:53 »
"that cripples  "
not a nice term  :(
going to bed now, bit disappointed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 22:42:24 by manicscousers »

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 22:45:03 »
Hi, just read this thread, how sad.
I guess the woman if in  a wheelchair must have had someone do the job. They were not professionals or they would have used a knapsack sprayer.
It did occur to me that someone may have done it to her plot because they were annoyed with the state of it. It obviously annoyed peeople for them to cover it.
If this had been a year or so ago I would have said the weedkiller was Paraquat, but this is no longer available. This kills all above ground growth that it comes into contact with, and does so within a day or so. Having said that, it is a contact weedkiller, and does not kill roots of tough or perenial plants or weeds, just the above ground growth. This is no comfort to you as it will without doubt have ruined whatever you grow on an allotment, unless you have fruit bushes that would re-grow. All I can say is if it is Paraquat there will be no residual weedkiller in the soil.
I suggest you take some soil samples and try something quick to germinate like radishes to see if there is any residual effect.
I hope the said lady has the decency to apologise and let you know who did the weedkilling so you can ask them what weedkiller was used. I am not sure if you should not report this to the police, as it may be considered as vandaleim perhaps, as I suspect a dose of weedkiller may have been left in the cans to spite others.
I can see and understand the upset but you must tread a carefull path so as not to get ongoing spitefull acts if she is thrown off. If at all possible she needs help and perhaps, I said perhaps she may one day see the error she made and make amends in some way.
Hope you are all able to sort out the mess.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 22:59:34 »
There is only one issue here - a neighbouring plot holder appears to have caused damage, either through her own negligence or by trusting someone else who then acted wrongly.

I'm not sure why the woman's mobility was ever mentioned.

Anyone who, by virtue of disinclination or disability, is unwilling or unable to look after an allotment shouldn't take one on.

Try replacing the word disability above with any one of the following: working hours, family commitments, transport problems, lack of equipment, and most of us would have to hold up ouur hands. However, none of those would make us any more or less likely to kill someone else's produce.

Moronic ignorance is not the province of the disabled... as Melbourne's comments aptly demonstrate.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 23:00:12 »
Melbourne, I stand completely by my words......and I feel we've got to agree to disagree here..the next cyber pint's on (but not over, eh?) me, on this one... ;)

I DON'T say that  anyone has a right to  have an allotment, neglect it, randomly kill plants hither&yon  with weedkiller...  etc.etc.....of course I don't!

I merely took issue with OB's statement that peeps with a physical disability should be excluded from having a lottie, and that I hold to :)

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 23:02:02 »
Im not saying no one with disabilities should have an allotment BUT the one behind me has been taken over by the local health authority with tax payers money!!
Paid over £2500 for a wooden shed thats been sat empty since last year, the council degutted the site, now its back to square one head height with weeds etc
teh person running the plot says they cant let the people onto the site to sort it out as they have health issues and could hurt each other with tools etc
So my ? is why start something when people are willing to sort out themselves if the people involved cannot tend to the plot?
maybe its me :)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 23:17:39 »
Think that I should say something too...

What has happened to Cam and her neighbour is utterly disgraceful, and shows at the best ignorance and at the worst sheer bloody malice... >:(

But for people to say that people in wheelchairs / with disabilities should not be allowed allotments is a very slippery slope, and one which I am also not comfortable with.

Hope the situation can be resolved soon and that the weedkiller is not persistant, also if there is anything you or your neighbour need in future to get back on track, shout, as a lot of us have spares!! ::)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 23:21:54 »
I gotta spare tyre (or two or more) for starters, if you want to make raised beds ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 23:23:03 »
Im not saying no one with disabilities should have an allotment

Yes, I think you are,Tracy, otherwise surely you would be directing your complaint to the health authority and demanding an explanation for the apparent waste of taxpayers' money.

Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread.

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 23:23:15 »
im saying nothing else dont want to upset folk :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 23:24:02 »
Hiya Cam, I'm so sorry to hear what happened, not sure I can do anything but if there is anything you can think of please let me know, I'd be happy to do whatever I can from here.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 23:25:17 »
nope im saying why take on an allotment if you cant keep it running
some folk have contacted the health authority and the council about the allotment, theres a waiting list for them, all im saying is why take one on if you cant keep it up?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 23:36:37 »
 :o

Crikey me! Bit of a hornets nest been stirred up! My twopennorth is that the issue here is the behaviour of one person or her agents. I would absolutely defend the right of ANYONE to have a plot if they can manage it, by any means at their disposal.

If the person concerned in Cam's case is aware of the damage caused and is not worried about it, I would be very surprised. Lets's wait and see how it turns out.

My heart goes out to you Cam, hope it gets sorted soon, but let's not make this an anti disablement issue.

Alishka has my full support in the comments she made, I repeat: I defend the right of anyone to have a plot. We have all made mistakes....

:'(

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 23:41:39 »
all i have  to say is A BIG SORRY for my comments
I didnt honestly mean to cause upset of any discription :(
There is able bodied people around my plot that dont work them, just such a shame when people are waiting years for them that they go to waste
Anyway im leaving this as it is
APOLOGIES EVERYONE

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 23:58:24 »
Well i think only people who are able and willing to look after an allotment should be given the chance to have one...so many are taken on by peeps who give up in the first year or two, leaving a mess behind them - but have still taken up valueble places on waiting lists, disabled or not.

It depends on the site location, layout etc.. if a disabled person is able or not, ours is certainly not suitable, and would take £££'s to be made suitable.

However, it sounds to me like the problem with this woman is that she should'nt have an allotment because she's ignorant and stupid - nothing to do with her physical disability.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 00:08:28 »
Hi, Louise.

Sorry to hear about this. It seems likely to be either Sodium Chlorate, Pathclear or Weedol for it to act that fast. SBK takes a few days to show effects and Glyphosate takes a week or two. The first two will contaminate the ground for a period, the third will not, the latter two are systemic and when the plants die down it is usually safe to replant. If she can't or won't tell you what was used, I would suggest you throw some cress seed on the land and rake it in to see what happens. If it doesn't grow it's probably one of the first two.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

yekim

• Not So New ...
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:15 »
So sorry to hear about your losses, its very sad that poison of any sort is used instead of a bit of hard work.

As for where you stand, i believe, that this would constitute criminal damage, however i'm not sure if it would be against the lottie holder or the person spraying?  but if you cannot get answers as to who, what was sprayed then a report to the police may well provide those answers, granted it may take a while for the police to speak to this person, but it may be enough to give them a short sharp shock into providing the info required.  On the other hand this could make them feel discriminated against, they could be hyper sensitive about their dissability and how the world treats them, it could be a potentially volatile situation, but as previously stated i agree this about a fellow lottie holder using or allowing the use of poison on their site!

If it were me i would be tempted to speak to them direct, however long it takes and pull no punches make no allowances for dissability, after all life doesnt.

just my tuppence worth.

Cheers

Mick

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2008, 08:36:05 »
I'm with you, Alishka. I'll leave it at that!

Keep us posted, Cam.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:24 »
How many times do we read about discrimination. In my opinion anyone who has a decent level of intelligence wether they be in a wheelchair or not should be responsible for their actions. If ANYONE did that to my plot they would get the same reaction from me whoever they were.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2008, 09:11:04 »
Most wheel chair users who garden in a serious way use very high raised beds.Maybe this person is planning to have raised beds put in.

The disability really has nothing to do with what has happened at this plot.
The issue is the use of poison.My guess it is a friend or someone doing a job on the cheap who have no idea what they are doing.

My guess is it will be a total waste of time to call the police.

I think your committee should have strong words with this person and at the very least an apology and hopefully the offer of some compensation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal