Author Topic: crop rotation - peas and beans  (Read 1996 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
crop rotation - peas and beans
« on: August 02, 2004, 13:59:24 »
Is it ok to plant peas next year where I'm growing beans this year?
gone to pot :D

cam

• Not So New ...
Re:crop rotation - peas and beans
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 14:40:16 »
Wouldn't advise it,they're both from the same plant family,so both suffer from the same pests.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 03:04:40 »
They do?
Given that beans are rarely, if ever, affected by anything (which is why some grow beans in the same patch for a number of years) you may well be able to get away with it. The beans will have helped inoculate the soil with the nitrobacter Rhizoctonia so that the peas will have a head start when it comes to accessing the dormant bacterial spores.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 23:16:33 »
???Everyone grows beans on the same bit each year on allotment? I think because any other position would shade other peoples plots? All seems to grow at front of plot next to centre path...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 23:25:22 »
Bet most of them dug a deep bean trench many moons ago and filled it with lovely chunky green stuff to enrich the soil and hold onto moisture, just like little old me....my beans will stay where they are until I have good reason to move them on.  ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 01:01:26 »
some did but someone was on about deseasesand crop rotation etc...?
I didn`t dig trench just covered with grass and manure...doing well.freezer getting full!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 10:32:05 »
Runner beans are perennial - if the root/rhizome whatever it is survives the winter (now where did I read this?) might be useful if growing heritage varieties of runner beans - if only I knew where my heritage seeds of Salford Black were hiding.

I suppose the rotation would be important as soon as you see a detoriation in the quality of the plants. Robinsons I believe grow their massive onions in the same bed. The bloke up from me on the plot grows runners in the same place.

I would think that broad beans and peas are more closely related to each other, and slightly more distant to the runner and french beans (which are closely related to each other). I noticed that my broad beans and peas got notched leaves from those weevil thingies, but not on my runners and french beans.  
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal