Author Topic: Ways to get rid of mites  (Read 2072 times)

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
Ways to get rid of mites
« on: June 11, 2008, 14:48:22 »
I have got a bit of a problem with mites.  I noticed a few last week and at the weekend they had multiplied and the shed was covered.  I washed shed out, disinfected it and sprayed with a aerosol spray i got from my local pet supplier (£11 for 1 tin and it lasted no time at all). I also got some chemical to dilute and spray on the chickens as well.  Although i have managed to get rid of most of them i still keep seein quite a lot. 
I know a lot of people use old style creasote to paint over and destroy them but no one local supplies it.
I would like to know as many ways as possible to get rid of them and would be grateful for any help.
Do the candles you can get to kill bugs in greenhouses work?
Also i got covered in the horrid things and still keep finding them crawling up my arms! i'm pretty sure they dont live on humans!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Ways to get rid of mites
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 15:21:27 »
This turned out to be a late stage of mite infestation after the vet assured me it was not,  full treatment ideas from this thread (Worked for me):

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,41173.0.html

My hens are now well on the way to being healthy again.  I also now spray all the corners and crevices every week or two maximum with Jeyes fluid.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 15:34:38 »
the creaosote substitute worked for me

do you use straw? this was our source of infection

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 18:33:25 »
Thank you i will take a look at that.   

I do use straw and i thought it probably came from it but my chickens are running free most of day so guess they could bring them in from anywhere,  I was very suprised how quick the took over the shed though. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 20:06:27 »
do you use straw? this was our source of infection

Same for us.  When we traced our problem back: it started when we changed from wood shavings to straw.  Now gone back to wood shavings.  No problems since, touch wood ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 14:40:09 »
Mites hate the smell of jays fluid i had the same problem last summer.
cleaned the hut out washed with jeys then let it dry then sprayed a very strong mix of jeys with my sprayer all over then powderd with mite powder, & touch wood they have not been back :D
today i will be growin veg!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal