Author Topic: shoot me down in flames  (Read 5726 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: shoot me down in flames
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 12:03:12 »

Maybe we need some new moderators who can devote more time to monitoring posts, and not rely on people reporting posts as I do at the moment.

Dan

Oh, please, please, please no! :'(

Apart from the occasional hiccup, which you've always dealt with very well 8), we've self-policed really effectively up to now I think and,  actually, the proof of that has been seen in the recent post?

please?

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 13:08:02 »
I just wanted to add to this - today is the first time in months that I've read anything other than the threads in the "produce" section, and this is exactly why.  There's absolutely no need to be abusive to people who have come on here genuinely asking for help.  It's different if people are having a rant in the Watershed - I think you expect to get an argument going if you do that, and quite often it's the regulars who do that so people know them a bit and know what to expect.

I'll stick to the veg and flowers bit from now on, although as Elizabeth's bit was originally in the edible plants section, maybe I should avoid that as well.

Isn't gardening supposed to be relaxing?  I'm off up the plot before I lose it... ;)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 13:24:34 »
For my 2p, I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Of course we should be welcoming to new people, but also if ACE or anyone else has a particular view, why shouldn't he express it? We put up with JRP for goodness sake, and some of his views are repulsive. So someone was a little bit rude - frankly I'm surprised that anyone's got to 60 and still think nobody's ever going to be a bit rude, or prejudge you, or maybe get you wrong. 
If I were ACE, I'd be feeling a little bit got-at right now, as everyone rushes to tell him how naughty he is.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 13:26:01 »
I just hope Elizabeth stays around long enough to read the supportive posts in her thread.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 13:58:34 »
that turned into a poor thread somehow. Best of luck Elizabeth

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 17:17:57 »
tim, dont be put off recommending to your daughter - that only lets the small minded amongst us win, recommend away and she will get a warm welcome

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 17:19:42 »
I love this forum and would hate it to become sanitised. just think newer members don't expect stuff like this on their first post  ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 17:49:49 »
Daughter? Just want things to settle back to the Oasis of get-away-from-the-daily-grind that it has mostly been. Allotments are wholesome, levelling places.

Here's a smile to brighten things up! Just after being shot down in flames!!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 18:09:50 »
For my 2p, I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Of course we should be welcoming to new people, but also if ACE or anyone else has a particular view, why shouldn't he express it? We put up with JRP for goodness sake, and some of his views are repulsive. So someone was a little bit rude - frankly I'm surprised that anyone's got to 60 and still think nobody's ever going to be a bit rude, or prejudge you, or maybe get you wrong. 
If I were ACE, I'd be feeling a little bit got-at right now, as everyone rushes to tell him how naughty he is.

OVERREACTION!!

I think some people have been very calm....me for one.

There is no place on this site for personal attacks on people.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 18:16:18 »
Keep yr kecks on, is all I'm saying! Of course there's no need to be nasty to people, but equally there's no need for everyone to get hysterical about it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 21:04:13 »
 ...until it gets personal. Ace is entitled to his opinion, but not to inflict it on others. One of the most valuable lessons I learned as a young woman was 'never assume'. He would do well to pay heed.
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 21:18:10 »
Emaggie Just to lighten the thread I have just had a giggle at your Avatar (sp?) Haven't noticed it before :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 21:23:30 »
I love this site and recommend it to everyone. I've read some - but apparently not all - of the threads being objected to. Most, I ignore.

But the site as a whole is a lifeline, and when I want an answer to something I can get it, and hopefully help someone with an answer to their problem. Please don't all of us get up-tight, or allow ourselves to become high-jacked. The site is far more important than petty politics.

Sorry. I've had a week of petty politics at our site. And the support from the members has made me realise how petty they are. Ditto with our problems. Let's get on with the real stuff, shall we?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 21:29:44 »
Emaggie Just to lighten the thread I have just had a giggle at your Avatar (sp?) Haven't noticed it before :)
'snew Lorna, the little darling that we all went through the labour of this time last year is taking after her mother ho ho ho!
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 21:31:39 »
Ah. Didn't think I could have missed it :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 22:13:05 »
I have been flamed now and again ever since I came on this site( not very often)
I just treat it with humour so it appears I don,t care (I am a bit of a sensitive soul really) usually the nasty ones don,t stay long as they get bored of not being noticed which is why they do it. they go, I,m still here. sorted ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 23:00:11 »
I recommend this site to every man and his dog.  Always bragging about it and singing its praises
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:10 »
Good shout manicscousers. When i first started on the allotment lark a few years back one of the things that really helped me was the help, advice and encouragement that i received from people on this site.
  The last thing you need when you're starting out is people putting you down. Yes, there is a lot of work involved, but, with a bit of effort and and maybe a little bit of encouragement now and again most of us are more than capable of growing some decent crops.
  Incidentally, on my allotment site, there have been lots of newcomers in the last year or so and this has really given the site a boost as these newcomers bring new ideas and enthusiasm.
  So, Good Luck Elizabeth, and anyone else who's starting out.
  All The Best-Marky.B.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 10:34:24 »
Well said,one of the reasons A4A works is the mixed bag of personalities we have on it.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 15:44:11 »
I only popped in to ask advice on a rescued baby magpie & some funny disease on my blackcurrants  ::)

And now I'm involved in an A4A dispute ... I should really keep my mouth shut ... AT ALL TIMES!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal