Author Topic: shoot me down in flames  (Read 5729 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
shoot me down in flames
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:16 »
if you like
I'm getting really concerned by the lack of encouragement for some new users on this site, they come on here so excited and just get shot down, even if they're not doing/living the way others do, isn't this a gardening site, ? :(

ACE

• Hectare
Re: shoot me down in flames
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:07:50 »
13 encouraging posts so far, 3 against, I would not call that lack of encouragement.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:11:33 »
It's such a shame that there are three against  :(
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:13:44 »
if I'd had that when I came on, I'd've ran a mile, not everyone's fit, able and can dig a plot over, myself included, does that mean I shouldn't grow stuff?
also, it's the terms used, scroungers, so, just 'cos I'm disabled and can't work, what does that make me?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:24:08 by manicscousers »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:19:41 »
2 threads this week that I've come across which have been started by Newbies and have ended up with less than welcoming replies! :(
I doubt we'll hear from them again.
Smile, it confuses people.

Elizabeth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:19:42 »
Thank you for that it was a very horrid thing to read this early in the morning, but then I now don't give a hoot!, just checked numbers on Euor millions and I have won - what will he! write about that now. :'(
Elizabeth

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:12 »
I must have missed that... glad we haven't put you off Elizabeth! Don't spend your tenner all at once!!
 ;D

Elizabeth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:52:36 »
Got 4 main & 2 stars, so I will PAY someone to do my digging. ;D
Elizabeth

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:59:01 »
wow, let us know how you get on  ;D
somebody pick on me, I'll get a lottery ticket  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:01:06 by manicscousers »

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:24:11 »
if you like
I'm getting really concerned by the lack of encouragement for some new users on this site, they come on here so excited and just get shot down, even if they're not doing/living the way others do, isn't this a gardening site, ? :(

Totally agree with you there, some folk should Keep their opinions and political thoughts to themselves.

Just lately people are being shot down for no reason whatsoever.  A potato thread turning into a argument!!! Why?????? 

First time in my life I have heard of over 60's being scroungers which I have read on another thread.  Bloody disgusting what some folk have said!!!.  KNOW THE FACTS BEFORE YOU MAKE DEGRADING COMMENTS!!!!!.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 09:27:49 »
Well said Manicscousers and Springbokgirlie.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:28:32 »
Well done.  £3k will buy you some digging, personally I'd rather have a holiday and do the digging myself!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 09:47:50 »
Why do you think I post so rarely these days.  I do read and keep up with what everyone is up to, but I received lots of cruddy posts, pm's and emails so I thought, time to move on.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:51:25 »
wow, let us know how you get on  ;D
somebody pick on me, I'll get a lottery ticket  ;D

You scrounging bar steward!  Will that do?

(It's Friday 13th for the next Euromillions draw.  Lucky for some?)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:04 »
Haven't read the posts in question yet, but this is really sad. I came to this forum because of another one going downhill due to petty squabbles. i'd hate to see A4A go the same way. :(

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:06 »
Well said springbokgirlie and manicscousers,

I've read threads that have made me laugh and made me cry, but not very often one that has shocked me.

If you haven't got anything nice or constructive to say, then please don't say anything at all  >:(
Life is to short !!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:45 »
I say well done for starting this thread too Manics!

Like EJ, I was an avid member of this site, my family used to tease me no end about it, and I gained so much knowledge and made lots of friends, but they have mostly moved on, partly by the change in attitudes I imagine. 

I no longer post as I have been upset by replies the same as Emma Jane.  Everyone was always so helpful and encouraging, and worked so hard.  Was it Mike B who did so much work on different varieties I remember?  And for people to insult Tim is the worst...!

A4all was always a wonderful place to be and you could guarantee to be cheered up by the posts.  Ace I still love yours!  But it is not my first port of call now and I know longer feel like answering posts as I am shot down so often.  There are so many answers to any question as everyone has different ways of doing things and no way is the 'right' way, it is just what works for you as an individual.  It was always wonderful that you could ask a question and get so many different answers and try them all to see what worked on your plot.

And where does all this political stuff fit into gardening.... I am sure there are better forums for it.... :-\

Sorry, I have rambled and expect I will be shot down, but Dan has done a wonderful job setting up this site and it is sad to see the way it is going.

Even Dan doesn't post now.... :'(

T.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 10:33:03 »
I say well done for starting this thread too Manics!

Like EJ, I was an avid member of this site, my family used to tease me no end about it, and I gained so much knowledge and made lots of friends, but they have mostly moved on, partly by the change in attitudes I imagine. 

I no longer post as I have been upset by replies the same as Emma Jane.  Everyone was always so helpful and encouraging, and worked so hard.  Was it Mike B who did so much work on different varieties I remember?  And for people to insult Tim is the worst...!

A4all was always a wonderful place to be and you could guarantee to be cheered up by the posts.  Ace I still love yours!  But it is not my first port of call now and I know longer feel like answering posts as I am shot down so often.  There are so many answers to any question as everyone has different ways of doing things and no way is the 'right' way, it is just what works for you as an individual.  It was always wonderful that you could ask a question and get so many different answers and try them all to see what worked on your plot.

And where does all this political stuff fit into gardening.... I am sure there are better forums for it.... :-\

Sorry, I have rambled and expect I will be shot down, but Dan has done a wonderful job setting up this site and it is sad to see the way it is going.

Even Dan doesn't post now.... :'(

keep on rambling Tulipa - after all your a member of the site and have every right to ramble.  so what do these "members" deem to be scroungers - id describe myself as a scrounger - im tight and wont spend money if i can help it - i will make rather than buy, borrow rather than buy (but i do return), i use freecycle - does that make me a scrounger - if it does great - i don't care. o and just in case anyone wonders i work full time 9 till 5.30, 5 days a week so its not cause i don't have the money - im just thrifty with it where i can be lol
i have found this site nothing but great for advise and help and i can only apologize to those members who have had less than positive comments made to them by other members
dont let them grind you down, you have as much right to be here as anyone else

T.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:21 »
Having just said something a bit encouraging in the Edibles slot, it depresses me hugely to read the twoddle over here.

For many years we have had the only 'clean' & supportive site  that I have found - much due to its earthy foundations?  Where else would you get the support shown at one member's funeral??

I'm amazed that you, Emma, of all people, should have been getting nasties. Perhaps our Dan could step in here & zap the roots of the rot before they take hold?

Sad that I was just going to recommend the site to youngest Daughter who is starting an allotment with some friends in London. I think I will wait a while.

There seems to be a strange urge with some people who are discontent to attack the Establishment, the Police, the Forces, even a brick wall, rather than help build on the good.

Tulipa -(one P?) you just beat me to it, but I'm not re-writing.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 10:46:47 »
I have just replied to 'the other' thread, I have always allowed debate - perhaps I have given people a little to much rope - we will see.

As to people receiving nast PM's, I do wish people would report them to me, it is easy to do, and would make my 'job' a whole lot easier.

I can do nothing about them if I do not know about them - this site should be open to all, that is why I set it up, and how I would like it to continue.

Maybe we need some new moderators who can devote more time to monitoring posts, and not rely on people reporting posts as I do at the moment.

Dan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal