Author Topic: D-DAY, 6th June 1944  (Read 5524 times)

Gazfoz

• Acre
Re: D-DAY, 6th June 1944
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 22:54:30 »
Why can we not move on and stop admiring people who did terrible things and try to learn from our mistakes and not kill each other.
I personally am sick of people talking about their experience as though it was something to be proud of.  Sorry Tim.
If you want to tell us all about how many people you sorted out in the name of freedom then we can all help carry your guilt.

Gary Foster.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 22:59:29 »
Do you think you would have the freedom to speak your mind on a public forum under a despotic regime under which Europe would have fallen had it not been for the efforts of People like Tim.???

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 23:08:38 »
We all have our views on politics, patriotism and war but that isn't what this thread is about!  You should have left it to the people who were enjoying each others chit chat and memories.  If you don't like the topic, don't come in here, it's quite obvious what it's about from the topic heading!  I'd rather see this thread locked with happy stories than end up in another one of those lily livered political debates  :(

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 23:16:44 »
And should I be grateful for that? and should I be concerned about what you would like to see savageblue?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 23:38:16 by Gazfoz »

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 07:17:02 »
You seem to have the same attitudes that an aquaintance has. He is against the same things, he doesn't work as he doesn't want to pay tax to buy arms (his excuse for living off us for ten years).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:45 »
My mum was a Land Army girl and I have a picture of her with "gang" and their haul of dead rats!  What a job!   My dad was a Marine and piloted one of the landing craft - but he would never speak of his experiences - he only said that too many of his very close mates died.
twinkletoes

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 08:18:16 »
firstly i would like to say i wasn't going to reply to some comments about what i have read but will say one thing you only have the things you have and take for granted today as a result of what these brave people had to endure on a daily basis we are a nation of people who are thankfull to those brave men and woman .Gazfoz comments like that just show you are the minority i agree if you do not agree what the content is in this topic don't make yourself welcome here to comment there for would not be offended by what you read

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 00:28:50 »
Why can we not move on and stop admiring people who did terrible things and try to learn from our mistakes and not kill each other.
Gary Foster.
Well, when a gobshite like Adolf Hitler comes along, are we supposed to sit back and do nothing?

War is a terrible thing, but if any one war was justified it was WW2.

Nobody glorifies war, but if it hadn't been for 'the few' aka Tim et al we would all be speaking german today, that is those of us who had not been exterminated in nazi death camps.

Read your history books gazfoz. ;D

Quite apart  from anything else gazfoz you are an A1 prat.

valmarg

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 16:27:31 »
Tim - it's a bit of a long shot, my uncle was in the RAF and posted to Burma (lost touch years ago) - name was Bert Lowden - ring any bells?  Thing is he might have been a bit older than you though.
Twinkletoes

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 18:47:02 »
Gary Foster.
Well, when a gobshite like Adolf Hitler comes along, are we supposed to sit back and do nothing?

War is a terrible thing, but if any one war was justified it was WW2.

Nobody glorifies war, but if it hadn't been for 'the few' aka Tim et al we would all be speaking german today, that is those of us who had not been exterminated in nazi death camps.

Read your history books gazfoz. ;D

Quite apart  from anything else gazfoz you are an A1 prat.

valmarg

What, instead of American? how terrible.
What is a Gobshite?
How was ww2 so justified? by the way, we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland. Yes just us Brits sticking our noses into other peoples business again.
Remember the empire?
History books are like newspapers, which one do you read?
To be considered an A1 prat by you ain't so bad! (I apologise for the American corruption of my reply)

Gary

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 20:33:40 »
 When the Axis powers led by Nazi Germany, Facist Italy and Japan made a pact between themselves to be mates along came a similar pact made by Great Britain, France and Poland, so it was not a situation of Britain going  and sticking its nose in, when we did stick our nose the best part of Europe was already overrun by Hitler and his mates :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 20:54:25 »
[
What, instead of American? how terrible.
What is a Gobshite?
How was ww2 so justified? by the way, we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland. Yes just us Brits sticking our noses into other peoples business again.
Remember the empire?
History books are like newspapers, which one do you read?
To be considered an A1 prat by you ain't so bad! (I apologise for the American corruption of my reply)

Gary

???What, instead of  American ???

Britain did not declare war on Germany because it invaded Poland.  It declared war on Germany because Germany did not honour the agreement it gave to Chamberlain to withdraw from Poland.  By 11.00 a.m. on 3rd September, 1939 the British Government had received no such assurance, and therefore a state of war was declared between us (ie Germany).

Germany was hell-bent on invading Europe (revenge for the Versailles Treaty).  France, Holland and Belgium were to suffer, together with some of the Scandinavian countries.  Wherever they invaded they committed attrocities.

Also gazfoz, not everything was evil about the British Empire.  I would suggest that there are a lot of non-whites in Zimbabwe who would be delighted to bring back the 'status quo'.

What is a 'gobshite' - well I should have to say, you do a bloody good impression.

valmarg

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 22:54:24 »
May I make a suggestion? How about we all ignore the posts by Gazgoz? Obviously he/she enjoys being in the very small minority of people with his/her views.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 23:33:18 »
Britain did not declare war on Germany because it invaded Poland.  It declared war on Germany because Germany did not honour the agreement it gave to Chamberlain to withdraw from Poland.  By 11.00 a.m. on 3rd September, 1939 the British Government had received no such assurance, and therefore a state of war was declared between us (ie Germany).

By Britain . as I said ???

As for you Lorna, am I not allowed my opinion ??? I am beginning to wish the Germans did win then I mightn't be allowed to have an opinion of my own.

The truth is the truth whether or not it is in the minority or the majority.

Stop jumping on bandwagons and try and grow some veg little one!

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 00:08:00 »
Oh, and by the way valmarg. I still don't know what a gobshite is :'(

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 07:03:23 »
I sympathise with certain aspects of your viewpoint Gaz (I think war is almost always wrong), which is why I didn't contribute to this thread. I don't sympathise with your view that it's okay to be offensive to people who, for whatever reason, risked their lives in doing the best they could for their country. Just because war is usually wrong doesn't mean those who fight are wrong too.

The way you've posted can only cause offense. I think you should try to be a little more diplomatic in your contributions.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 11:24:49 »
Don't forget this is on Channel Five tonight :)

Time - 20:00 - 21:00 (1 hour long)
Tuesday 17th June on five
Last of The Dambusters
Historical documentary focusing on the famous Second World War Dambusters raid. George Johnson - a bomb aimer in one of the raid's Lancasters and one of only two British Dambusters alive today - sets off on a final mission to rediscover his past. He finds and digs up his old Dambuster bomber, before travelling back to the giant German dams that he once attacked.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 13:37:07 »
I accept your criticism Ollie, I am rather direct.
People need to remember however, that this is a discussion forum and if they want to have rambling conversations then there is a perfectly good chatroom facility on this website.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 13:44:40 »
Thanks for reminder Sam.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 17:12:26 »
People need to remember however, that this is a discussion forum and if they want to have rambling conversations then there is a perfectly good chatroom facility on this website.

People?  Seems to me that you're the late comer here so who are you to suggest when and where people discuss what they want to on A4A?  You seem to be the only one who doesn't want to stay on topic in this thread and yet here you still are .....

I shall take Lorna's advice because IMO you just seem to be trolling about in this thread for the reactions you appear to be receiving. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal