Author Topic: midges north of the border  (Read 1819 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
midges north of the border
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:00:11 »
afternoon all :D

OH and I (and the  dogs) are of to Scotland next Sunday, one night in Moffat, and 8 days in Oban.

We went to Scotland years ago about this time of year, and because it never stopped raining, we were never bothered with the dreaded midge, but the weather up there just lately has been lovely, so this year we may.

our site is in North Ledaig on the sea shore looking out to Mull, sounds bliss, doesn't it  ;D

So, any tips, or recommended products to use, to ward off the blighters,

Oh and any must see sites or walks,
  cheers
Life is to short !!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: midges north of the border
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 13:53:10 »
Hope the good weather continues for you in Oban.   Midgies could be a problem NOW.  Lots of products on the market to deter the midge (none works).   They sell the products in the shops up there including Avons  Skin so Soft which helps some people.  Hope they don't bite too much.  I am one of the lucky people who don't attract the midge.  OH gets bitten to bits but we don't go west after May. 

I recommend a day trip to Mull.  If you like wildlife its one of the best islands that seems to have everything going for it.  I have seen the Golden Eagle there,  Sea Eagle, Otters and something different around each bend in the road.  Its also beautiful so worth seeing as well. 

A daytrip to Fort William and go east to Glencoe is spectacular.  The mountains are high and there is an atomosphere about the place.  There was a massacre at Glencoe between the Campbells and McDonalds.  You can't go wrong going in either direction from Oban.  Enjoy.  Hope the weather is kind.

;) :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 15:22:15 »
Lucky you. I grew up in the North of Scotland, and we used to go to the West coast a lot - probably the most beautiful place in the world.

Jungle formula really does work on the midgies, but don't lick your fingers. Yuck!

Have fun!

Ollie

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 19:16:02 »
We used to live in Oban; a beautiful place.

Are you in a caravan, chalet or tent at Ledaig?  I know the Caravan Club have a lovely site there. 

We have a caravan and haven't been to Scotland with it yet but do frequent a site in the Somme area of France where midges are a problem.  We have a fly zapper in our caravan and use it to clear the insects out of the awning prior to eating our evening meal.  We also have a citronella lamp and candles which we light up to deter them. 

This is the fly zapper that I am talking about:
http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/th/battery_operated_hand_held_fly_swatter

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday.  Arduaine Garden to the south of Oban is well worth a visit.  The area around there is very pretty and the nearby Cuilfail Hotel at Kilmelford used to do an excellent lunch.  We left Oban in 1986 so it may have changed hands by now.

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 22:32:56 »
 :) Thanks for your replies folks

Are you in a caravan, chalet or tent at Ledaig?  I know the Caravan Club have a lovely site there

yes Pauline7 we are staying at the caravan club site

thanks for the tip about the citronella lamp and candles, out tomorrow to buy some

probably the most beautiful place in the world.
I've only been once before Ollie, but it certainly made an impression, can't wait to return.

Glencoe is spectacular

on our last visit, we stayed in Glencoe Carol, there is something about that place, maybe because when we were there, the rain didn't come down in sheets, but horizontally  :-\

was still brill though

weather permitting, may bag a few more munroes eh !! ;D ;D

thanks again guys  :D
Life is to short !!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 15:48:44 »

yes Pauline7 we are staying at the caravan club site

thanks for the tip about the citronella lamp and candles, out tomorrow to buy some

Don't forget a fly zapper.  They are essential for getting rid of any midges that have got into the caravan especially at bed time.  It will save you being bitten in your sleep.

There are a few for sale on EBay: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=fly+zapper

We have the Executioner, a bit more expensive but then it works well. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 15:51:57 by Paulines7 »

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 16:00:29 »
My sister lives opposite Tobermory. We have a family routine on our occasional visits: catch the local ferry from Drimnin to Tobermory and share a bottle of champagne and a light lunch on the terrace of the massive hotel, the Western Isles, that rises up on the right as you enter the harbour. Extravagant, but kind of sets the seal on arriving in such a lovely place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal