Author Topic: Dodgy Mantis  (Read 7382 times)

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
Dodgy Mantis
« on: June 03, 2008, 15:21:27 »
Anyone recently bought or thinking of buying a new Mantis? There are some out there with a built-in throttle problem. I know I got one. The trouble is Mantis don't seem to know which ones they are. The problems is that the throttle trigger is made of a plastic that hasn't properly cured and is still flexible. The result is that it will not operate the throttle cam on the carburetor properly, as the return spring is too strong, causing the throttle trigger on the hand grip to flex. After an hour of checking and adjusting I could only manage to get 50% of the travel on the cam. When you assemble the handles you should check the trigger operation. If it feels stiff and you cannot see any movement at the carburetor you have got one of these dodgy machines. - Get on to your supplier and give them hell. These machines should never have left the factory. If enough of us complain then Mantis may improve their quality control. We want perfect machines when we buy them, after all they expect us to pay enough for them.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 15:23:41 by willebee »
Nothing ventured etc!!!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Dodgy Mantis
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 16:55:31 »
how long's it been going on, willeebee
ours is 4 years old, hasn't been used much and the throttle doesn't work at all at the moment, we've booked it in with mantis to be fixed on thursday, will see what they come up with  ::)

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 17:01:47 »
That is very - VERY - timely, Willebee as we were going to get one ourselves in a week or two.
Many thanks.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:02 »
Just heard from my supplier. Mantis won't send a new hand grip and trigger, they want to give him a whole new handle complete with wires and cable etc., and he won't get that until the end of the week. Also he cannot guarrantee that I won't get another dodgy one. We wait and see!
I've sent a complaint to Mantis UK but they only read it at 9 this morning. I wonder if they will reply ???. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:04 »
We have had our Mantis for about 6 years but have only used it two or three times because it is difficult to use and doesn't seem up to the job.  We wish now that we had bought a proper rotovator.   We can't even get the Mantis to start now.  For us it was a very bad buy.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 14:15:22 »
That is very - VERY - timely, Willebee as we were going to get one ourselves in a week or two.
Many thanks.

Hi Pumper
I've recently been told, after I ordered my Mantis, that the STIHL M55 multi-system is better. This may be personal preference but its worth checking out. I've found it at: http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/subprod/stihl-multi-system-0001144.aspx, but there could be other suppliers.
Cheers

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 15:21:04 »
Must admit - it certainly does look good, but just a tad pricey? £289 for the engine, and then get all the separate tools on top.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:55:39 »
Hi Pumper.
Did you realize that the Stihl engine is slightly larger than the Mantis at 30cc compared to the Mantis's 22.1cc. Therefore a 33% increase in power.

Cheers

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 13:04:53 »
I didn't notice that, but to be honest, it's a bit more than I really want to pay anyway. I'm a serious tightwad  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 13:33:46 »
I would like a mantis and have heard a lot of good things about them on this forum.  Could it be a rotovator is a better option....  I will be watching this debate with interest....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 14:38:52 »
My husband found the Mantis difficult to control as it jumped about all over the place.  It was also heavy to use and a b****r to start.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 15:25:52 »
  It was also heavy to use and a b****r to start.

Then definitely don't get a rotavator ::)

Like anything very successful Mantis do have some doubters and some bad stories.  I've always been pleased with mine but then I prefer to dig over by hand and use a tiller (not a rotavator) to create a tilth.  Always starts on the button.
Best laid plans and all that

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:05 »
Hi

Just a quick update. If you remember I should have had a new handle last Friday but, guess what, nothing happened. My supplier now says he can't talk to anyone at the distributors who can make decisions, they're all on holiday. He's supposed to be ringing me back today, we'll see? I am usually a rather patient s** but this is now really getting to me. I've got a brand new machine in the garage that I can't use and a plot that needs some work. Having Osteoporosis in my spine I can't do much real digging so if I give this machine back for a refund what do I then do? Any suggestions?

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 14:02:02 »
Sounds like you have been unlucky willebee (which comment will not help you at all!).  I bought a Mantis a couple of years ago as I thought being 5' nowt and a tad small, it would help me out.  I must have got one of the dodgy machines you mentioned but when I emailed them and told them about the problem they promply sent out the new handles/wire things and I have had no trouble (touch-wood) since. It can be a bit tricky sometimes to start but I put that down to being a bit weak on the pully thing.  It can also bounce about as mentioned earlier but I find this usually happens when the soil is too dry or solid - once it gets a grip it is fine.  Funny thing though, a chap on our site also has the same model but his seems very underpowered - would this be the same problem (he needs to get some new handles/wires)?
twinkletoes

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 17:27:21 »
All this bad news on mantis is leading me away from the idea.   Not so keen now. ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 18:39:34 »
ours has been fixed, 50.00 for the service plus 17.00 for a new throttle linkeage and assembly, tried to get some knocked off because of these problems, it's 4 yr old but only been used about 12 times  :(
anyway, it's cheaper than buying a new one, we'll see how it goes  ::)

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 17:14:06 »
Sounds like you have been unlucky willebee (which comment will not help you at all!).  I bought a Mantis a couple of years ago as I thought being 5' nowt and a tad small, it would help me out.  I must have got one of the dodgy machines you mentioned but when I emailed them and told them about the problem they promply sent out the new handles/wire things and I have had no trouble (touch-wood) since. It can be a bit tricky sometimes to start but I put that down to being a bit weak on the pully thing.  It can also bounce about as mentioned earlier but I find this usually happens when the soil is too dry or solid - once it gets a grip it is fine.  Funny thing though, a chap on our site also has the same model but his seems very underpowered - would this be the same problem (he needs to get some new handles/wires)?
twinkletoes
Hi Twinkletoes.
Sounds like your mate on the site has a similar problem. These things work best at full power so the throttle needs to be fully open. Ask your mate to check he has full movement of the throttle cam at the carburetor. This cam is the triangular piece which the throttle cable connects to and it should move easily between the stops when the trigger is pulled. Mine could only move half way hence had I run the machine it would have felt very under powered.
Cheers.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 22:19:05 »
All this bad news on mantis is leading me away from the idea.   Not so keen now. ???

Hi Ktlawson.
If you get a good one these Mantis tillers are worth their weight in gold. I've seen them make very short work of some heavily clay bound soil. That's why I'm persisting in getting this problem solved. The general idea on our site is to fork the ground first (just push the fork in and wiggle it a bit) to roughly break up the ground and then attack it with the tiller. Its possible to get the ground tilled so fine that you can sow seeds straight away. I may have some more news and possibly a resolution on Friday having heard from Mantis themselves. Just have to wait and see.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 13:23:03 »
 :D
Hi I think this will be my final update on this episode. Talked to the MD at Mantis's distributor in Stockport. He sent me a new handle by post, as well as apologising for my inconvenience. Once I had started the Mantis took about 15 mins to assemble, and then the acid test. I took it to a rather rough clay bound bit of my plot, this bit hasn't been dug for about 3 years. Started it up, got some appreciative noises from my neighbour on the next plot ref the quietness of the engine. Left it for a couple of minutes to warm up then let it attack the ground. After a couple of bounces it dug in and using Mantis's recommended pulling action rather than pushing, it cut through the ground like a hot knife through butter and had the ground well tilled in a relatively short time. That bit is now full of sweet corn seedling thriving. So after all the hassle I still think the Mantis is a brilliant purchase and would reccommend it to anyone, with the proviso that they fully check the operation of the controls as they are assembling the machine. 8)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 13:33:29 »
Yahoo for you willebee!  ;D  ;D  Yep, pal on lottie site has that problem as you described and is going to get in touch to see if he can get some new handles and wires.  I agree with you, I think the Mantis is great to once you get over the shock of the bounce before it gets a grip.  I made lovely spud trenches with mine this year - sooooooooo easy.
twinkletoes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal