Author Topic: Merton Pearmain apple  (Read 1112 times)

zeed

• Not So New ...
Merton Pearmain apple
« on: May 26, 2008, 17:25:47 »
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a Merton Pearmain apple tree. I've tried Brogdale, but they dont have any. Incidently, I was surprised to find that our national fruit collection ie, Brogdale, is sponsered by none other than Tesco! I remember this apple from my childhood, and as I can only grow 1 tree, I thought thats the one for me. If anyone out there could only grow one tree, what would they grow?
Zeed

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Merton Pearmain apple
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 20:24:14 »
Rubinette. Went to an apple tasting day at Keepers Nursery with 3 other people, and after much argument and chewing, Rubinette won, closely followed by Queen Cox. Keepers are not licenced to supply it, so I went elsewhere.

Those are the apples I have given to my daughter's allotment, and am looking forward to sharing with her.

My own plot has an ancient and slightly diseased Cox that has late but very tasty apples.

Keepers is a wonderful apple nursery. Google it to see if it has what you are looking for.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 20:29:28 »
I have just done a search on the net and whilst the variety is available.

Not in the UK

To pay to get them imported is, in my view excessive.

Leave it a year or two and some one will graft some, as there is a hole in the market at present for sale here.

zeed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:26:57 »
Thanks for the advise. Brogdale say that graft material is availabe, but havnt replied to my emails. Ah well.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 15:26:36 »
hi, zed, welcome to the site, lovely name for an apple

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal