Author Topic: BUSY BEE  (Read 2494 times)

betula

• Hectare
BUSY BEE
« on: May 22, 2008, 20:37:18 »
Oh no,the bees have decided to set up home under my much admired and widely acclaimed raised bed.

I know we need bees but I am a bit scared as they went underground last year on one of the plots and a plotholder got badly stung after he inadvertently dug into it.They literally chased him.

Robert where are you,I have never forgotten when you put your hand into my last bees nest on my old plot.You were a hero.There is a magnificent defender courgette sitting on top of this hole.Advice please. :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: BUSY BEE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:02 »
I remember last year when we had problems with a wasps nests, I have a terraced housing nesting box meant for sparrows, however blue tits moved in one end and wasps moved into the other end, I was so worried about the blue tits but all seemed ok in the end.

Its difficult though as you obviously wont be wanting to tend your beds just now  :o

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 15:24:17 »
Hi there

The time to act is now...those bees only make small nests and if they have only started..moved in, bee numbers will be low..only few. Those bees that locate underground their nests are difficult to re-locate with success. So if you disturb them now eg. block the entrance you wont kill many bees...minimize the damage. They are not aggressive bees and will only (depending species lot of them do not sting at all) sting when they are in serious danger. So just place plank of wood or something to block the entrance any flying ones will soon look for new place..and if you do this during day most of the flying bees will be out of the nest.
Good luck! 

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 22:04:53 »
i would love to have a couple of chicks,but i think 4 chickens is enough, ! Moody who died last year would have made a fantastic mum.  Our current girls are anything but broody, more boy like if annything

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 22:08:23 »
I did not know Bees had such great personalitiesLOL :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:10 »
I've been in London for an examiners' meeting. You could discourage them as has already been suggested, but as long as you know where the nest is, you could just leave them undisturbed for the season; they'll disappear in the autumn. What are you planning to grow in the bed?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:40 »
It is already planted up with courgettes :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:49 »
You're not going to be digging round the nest then. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 19:23:51 »
I agree have had small bee nests in beds before and not too much bother, unles syou have badgers around and then they dig the bed up to get at the honeycomb and grubs.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 23:05:24 »
I have decided to leave them alone,but I am nervous of them :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 23:36:24 »
You can't be half as scared as I was the first time I opened a beehive! You'll soon stop being nervous once you find that they don't really come out seeking whom they might sting.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 20:05:56 »
I have decided to leave them alone,but I am nervous of them :)

Good on you ... :) we need every bee that there is about...and like I said ground dwelling bees should not be trouble at all...
At the moment I have one nest under chicken shed floor..at first it looked like there was a lot of activity and bees but as I sat down next to entrance and really started counting their comings and goings..there were only 5 really busy bees doing the flying bit...and I was literally inches away from they entrance..and they didn't take no notice of me....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal