Author Topic: HELP!!!!!!  (Read 3481 times)

ACE430

• Not So New ...
HELP!!!!!!
« on: May 20, 2008, 23:56:24 »
Hi

I have taken some big steps in the garden, since moving in last summer, and have a reasonable sized plot.

Problem is not to sure what to grow where or how, I hope I have come to the right place for real help.  Would really like to be eating my own veg.

Looking for any and all form of help for the basics to start me off.

I have dug over the soil which seems to be OK and laid a path out of old bricks lying around the garden, what should I grow?

Thanks in advance for any help.   :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 00:11:46 »
Welcome to the site... the basic rule is grow what you know you will eat. Time wise you are at the best bit, anything will grow now... even the tender stuff. If you buy plants you will get quicker results. Enjoy... the site and your new growing season.
 ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 00:15:46 »
How much space have you got? You say the soild ok but is it sandy or clay?

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 00:28:41 »
Firstly thanks for the welcome.

The plot is about 10 by 5 meters, not to sure about the soil probably more sandy that clay as it was fairly easy to turn over, had to take the grass off the top first.  Oh what do I do with that? Just pilled it up behind the shed for now.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:29 »
hiya, ace430, nice to meet you,
 put it on paper, plan out your beds, write down the sorts of veg, and fruit, if you've space, that you like..can you grow up as well,beans, peas, squash, etc
get salads,tomatoes, beans, squash, in the ground if you're growing them, you can sow them direct now, or, as saddad says, buy some plants..sow seeds for follow on crops, winter stuff, like cabbage, broccoli etc
are you planning any permanent fruit ? better in autumn
anyway, have fun and good luck  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:45 »
Welcome,
piled up, grass down, behind the shed will be fine, it should break down and you will have some lovely soil to play with next year! ;)
I agree with saddad, grow what you eat! Don't use up valuable space growing say, spinach if you loathe the stuff!
You could start by writing a list of what you like in order of importance.
We love salads so I grow loads of lettuce & stuff.
I do not bother with onions because my plot is not big enough, and though we use masses of them, they are relatively cheap to buy versus the space they use up.
I would also suggest a good basic book to refer to, though this site has all the answers, sometimes seeing it in print helps!
Good luck!
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 15:32:45 »
hello Ace and welcome.
If you like, have a look at my blog - my plot is twice the size of yours and I grow small amounts of a lot of stuff. That might give you an idea as to the space taken up by certain veg. For example, I planted 50 potato plants in a bed that was about 2 m wide and 2 m long. 2 rows of French beans use up 2m by about 70 cm. I have a square of about 1.5m on each side that has about 20 strawb plants in it.

I would say that for now, get some summer crops going on at least half of it: maybe a bit late but you could try a few maincrop spuds, I would say 6 to 8 tomatoes, one or two courgette plants, some French beans, some lettuce, some autumn cabbages if you like that, you can still sow carrots, beetroot, fennel (water it well), mesclun for salad is cute too.
Have a look at a few allotment blogs, they give you lots of ideas about what other people grow, with pics to show you where they grow them.
Enjoy!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 15:40:22 »
Welcome to the madhouse.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 15:44:50 »
I planted 50 potato plants in a bed that was about 2 m wide and 2 m long.

Wow, you packed your potatoes in, antipodes.  I'd get around 20 earlies and even less maincrop in that space.

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:14:32 »
Well I took the plundge yesterday and went to B&Q and bought a whole bunch of seeds.  Lettuce beetroot, carrots, french beans, squash, corgette and some cabbage.  I have just finnished planting a few nice rows of each.

I firstly drew up a nice plan, that was a great bit of advice otherwise I would have just been sprinkling seed and not keeping track of where.

I was unable to find any potato's in B&Q though I might try ASDA later, they should have them.

I have no plans for any permanant fruit would no know what to do with it, what would be best and easy for a novice like me?

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:19 »
Hi,

You could try strawberries for starters.  Easy to grow, cheap to buy young plants, tasty fruit, can be dotted about where you have space, can be moved fairly easily, or into pots if you need the space again, not much faffing or disease problems & they make new plants every year so you can expand your stock.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:45:01 »
Well done ACE - you'll be hooked now!  Check the instructions on the packets for thinning and transplanting.  You'll need bird and slug protection for lettuce and cabbage.  It's very late for planting potatoes which is why it might be hard to find them and if you do, they may not be in the best condition.

Fruit you plant now won't give a crop this year and the dormant season between about Nov and Mar is the best time to plant.  If you like rhubarb, it doesn't take up much space and is pretty trouble free.  Strawbs are good too but need bird protection - can't beat a sun-warm fresh-picked strawb!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50:30 »
I am going to put my strawberries in pots this year as I always seem to neglect the weeding on the strawberry bed.Could do with the space for other things. :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:59 »
If you are growing anything vertically (e.g. beans) when siting them remember to work out where the shadow will be cast.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:12:52 by Barnowl »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 11:44:37 »
Welcome to A4A, best allotment/garden site you will find. Have fun.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 13:12:05 »
Hi there & a big welcome to the site  ;D
Im a complete novice as this is my first year & only had my allotment for a couple of months so may be doing stuff at the wrong time...  ;)
but Im just about to transplant minipop small swetcorn plants I germinated & brought on at home & I will be sowing the next batch this week aiming to transplant early June. Have just sown direct chard, sugar snap peas, carrots, bulb fennel & spinach. Hamburg Parsley is an interesting root veg that can be sown now & left in ground until you want it, will over winter til January according to seed packet. Im also planning to sow some more radishes soon then some salad/assorted lettuces. Things like Endive & Chicory can be sown later in the year (August) for winter salads. 

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 09:26:16 »
Thanks again for all the help and advice all.

Got 3 stawberry plants yeterday, one has flowers on already is this a good/bad thing?

I am currenty having to water the garden with a hose, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on collecting alternative water sources?

Thanks

ACE430

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 09:45:31 »
Yes quite normal to have flowers on now.You may want to protect them from the birds .Later on ,with luck they will send out runners to make a new plant.
Plant the runner in a pot and separate from mother plant when rooted.

Water butt placed under a down pipe.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 13:10:22 »
Welcome Ace!! ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal