Author Topic: Raised Beds  (Read 4487 times)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
Raised Beds
« on: May 20, 2008, 23:23:02 »
Was going to define my bed by just digging little trenches, think they call it lazy beds??  Anyway, now I think I might just go to B&Q and get them to cut me the wood - 2 x 3m & 2 x 1.5m.

Is there any problem with me just get bog standard wood from B&Q.  Ive read on this site before about making sure the wood isnt treated with stuff that could be toxic.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 23:34:17 »
Always a tricky one... treated wood lasts longer, but only because the treatments are toxic to moulds etc...
 :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:39:05 »
hiya, thedirector
don't know if this helps, there's an advert in kitchen garden mag. self assembly raised beds (wooden), 8'x4', all the screws etc included, richardsraisedbeds@tiscali.co.uk
in newbury, might be worth a look  :)
oh, nearly forgot, if you quote the article in kg, you get 10% discount

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:06 »
I buy gravel boards from B&Q :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:53:58 »
Old scaffolding boards from my local scaffolder here! (Oh and any other wood I can scrounge! ;))
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:23:55 »
i allways try to recycle reclamation yards are great you will be surprised what they have at a ver good discount remember unless the garden is in your back why spend spend when the ground is never yours (allotment ) that is i agree the best is scaffolding boards they last ages dont break down that quick and if you buy new your adding to the polution from delivery trucks

ivorjen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:03 »
If you find a local carpentry factory they will have wood they though in a skip for land fill. So go see them and ask if you can have any scrap that will be good for beds. If you are just staring like me then use smaller bits so you can build the beds to suit your requirements  most of the wood I have used is is hard wood planks about 4ft-5ft in length (all free) and used 2x2 bits from the skip as pins to hold them in the ground no nails or screws.

I agree scaff boards are very good but if like me the allotment is a way of getting fresh fruit & veg with no chemicals CHEAPLY then buying things is not an option
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!   reclaim as much as you can before it goes to landfill.

Able

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:36 »
Ditto, scaffold boards are the way forward.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:22:11 »
Some firms will not let you have them because of health and safety issues. :)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 19:41:15 »
Thanks for the responses but as I said I was thinking of just buying wood to the correct size from B&Q. Just wondered with plain wood from there is ok to put into the beds.  Im presuming just plain B&Q wood has no treatmemts and is therefore fine to put into the ground with the plants....

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 19:45:44 »
If you do not use treated wood it will not last you long.It will rot.You can line the inside with plastic. :)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 20:11:27 »
OK thanks. So what should it be treated with. I thought it was bad to have treated wood? In case of poisoning the bed! Im probably talking rubbish :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 20:14:13 »
I don't know what they use but I buy gravel boards and they are pre treated with the mystery treatment.Sure someone will come along soon and give us more info :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 20:39:24 »
I have lost count of the pressure treated gravel boards I have used over the years. As far as I know nobody has been poisoned. no crops have been lost no lawn edges have died. I do not dress up in protective clothing to put  put them in place, so what is all the hue and cry about.

More than likely a scare story put about by the brown bread and sandals brigade who want  to be 100% organic.

I do not really know the benefits of organic.  But if you believe in it, good luck. With all the shite falling out of the sky, the crap on the bottoms of your boots, the concentrates in farmyard manure. I think you would be extremely lucky to be truly organic so a bit of preservative in a couple of metres of wood ain't going to make a lot of difference.

If you feel the need to enlighten me on the joys of organic, save  your breath, you might just as well crap in your best hat.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 20:54:21 »
I have just made my raised beds out of timber from a fencing supplier all kinds of lengths and widths and cheap compared to anything B&Q would supply :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 21:53:34 »
an 8ft x 4 ft sheet of shuttering ply (18mm) if ripped down into 8 " strips will supply you with 48 ft of weatherproof edging cost about £20
You couldn't make it up!

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 23:24:22 »
If you feel the need to enlighten me on the joys of organic, save  your breath, you might just as well crap in your best hat.

;D ;D ;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:36 »
Used  for raised beds,you would be lucky to get 2 seasons out of untreated wood .
Cheers .. Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal