Author Topic: Bloody Coppers  (Read 13401 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Bloody Coppers
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2008, 11:18:02 »
Silly Billy,
             No chance I don't watch any kind of tat on the box not even Heartbeat ;)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 12:28:09 »
Valmarg - they may well have believed her - what should they have done then - it wouldn't have stopped the nutty boyfriend from killing her.  You say the police let her down very badly - if the was that threatened her family friends and acquaintances also let her down badly - where were they?  If the girl was that frightened why not move to somewhere safe?

Baccy Man - calling policemen Pigs - is derogatory and is evidence of what they have to put up with on a daily basis - I thought you had more intelligence than to sink to calling people names - I was obviously wrong!  So did they steal your mini? No - the hare coursing - certainly important - but in the scheme of things - not that important! 

KT - Doctors and nurses  don't go in to work on a daily basis to break up fights and be attacked by general members of the public - I know that it does happen - but there are Security Guards employed to assist in this practice.  Firefights yes do go to some very rough places and get attacked - normally they receive - as ambulance staff as well police back up and protection.

There are a number of "Police Haters" on this thread - and I doubt that they will ever change their views - sometimes entrenched in years of being "them and us".

Remember though - at the end of the day - they are all human beings, they have families, live in ordinary houses, go down the pub, they have financial worries, they have marital difficulties they have everything else/do everything else  probably that people like you and me do!  They are not so different.

Don't abuse them because of the job that they do.  The generally don't deserve it and on a daily basis it probably sets some of them up to be less than generous to a minority of people who possibly could have got away with some minor crime or just being stopped as at the start of this thread and potentially if they met with some "attitude" decided to keep them longer than someone who was more amenable!!

We are all capable to a point of looking after ourselves and others.  If people cared more than the "I'm all right Jack" attitude there would be less strife all round.  We ought to do it more!

End of subject as far as I am concerned!

Old Bird

::)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 13:41:17 »
Old Bird,
                 Totally agree ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 13:41:58 »
Doctors and nurses  don't go in to work on a daily basis to break up fights and be attacked by general members of the public - I know that it does happen - but there are Security Guards employed to assist in this practice. 

Police do not do this on a daily basis neither.  As for security to assist....  do police not call on other police to assist... response cars, police horses at football games, riot police.  It is their own version of additional security to assist. Same principles apply - they do not go it alone.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2008, 14:09:32 »
KT - Stop being thick!

All the people you are talking about are "POLICE OFFICERS" whether they have a horse, dog, response car,  they do "go it alone" they are all POLICE OFFICERS - one group of people employed by the POLICE FORCE - do you have a problem that it is not one copper with 10-15 blokes attacking him! 

Sounds like you would just cause trouble and carry on arguing  for the sake of it!

Old Bird

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2008, 14:23:30 »
Baccy Man - calling policemen Pigs - is derogatory and is evidence of what they have to put up with on a daily basis - I thought you had more intelligence than to sink to calling people names - I was obviously wrong!  So did they steal your mini? No - the hare coursing - certainly important - but in the scheme of things - not that important! 
I believe you are confusing me with someone else probably keef based on the above comments.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 14:25:18 »

End of subject as far as I am concerned!

Old Bird

EH!                            

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 14:46:04 »
You are right ACE I will shut up now!!

Sorry Baccy Man yes you were right it was KEEF!  Apologies for blackening your character!!  I didn't think you were that stupid - and I was proved right!

I am gone now!

Old Bird! ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 14:56:39 »
KT - Stop being thick!
Old bird:  I am not being thick! I do not start trouble for the sake of it as you put it.  And just tell me when I started abusing you directly.  Don't even start going down the abusive route.  Maybe you misunderstand what is meant in my replies.  But the police are not all they are cracked up to be.  I do work in the interests of the public and the crown, and have done so for the past 20 years. So I do know what police do and what they don't do. I disagree with your opinions on this thread.  My points of view are totally different to yours.  And no matter what way you put it, you cannot and will not get me to go along with it. 

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2008, 15:10:08 »
Hey KT I just realised your just along the road from me. You must be "served" by Cleveland Police too right?
The less said on Cleveland Constabulary the better  :)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2008, 16:37:22 »

People have called the police Pigs for a long, long time along with many other "slang" words used to describe the babylon - i'm sure they get called a lot worse more general swear words..

No - still have the mini. My point is i rarely need to contact the filth - but everytime  i have they've done absolutley nothing. Yes it might only be fairly petty crime (i hardly live in the bronx) but in general its defintaley on the increase. We rarely ever see any of the rozzers out this way - ever, perhaps if they bothered to put in an appearance now and then the petty crime would'nt occur so often.

I take it your not a fan of NWA then ?

For everyones enjoyment - found this,

5 - 0: Slang for police officers and/or a warning that police are approaching. Derived from the television show Hawaii 5-0.

Babylon: Jamaican English term for corrupt establishment systems, often applied to the police.

Bacon: Derived from Pigs: often used in the structure "I smell bacon" to warn of the approaching presence of an officer.

Barney: Term coined after Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show.

Bear: Short for "Smokey the Bear" in reference to the hats worn by some U.S. state police being similar to that of "Smokey the Bear". "Bear bait" is a reference to speeders, who may draw the attention of the police and allow slightly slower traffic to exceed the speed limit in their wake. "Bear in the Air" is a reference to a police chopper.

Berry: Originating from blueberry, referring to the blue uniform most officers wear.

Bizzies: Common Liverpool slang term for the police, it was invented as the police were always too "busy" to help. An alternative explanation of the term is that the police are seen as "busy-bodies" i.e. that they ask too many questions.

Blue Heelers: This is a term used in Australian and is after a breed of dog, the Australian Cattle Dog. This term is use because it accurately describes the personality and appearance (blue uniform) of a police officer. This term became used more frequently as it was used for the Australian police drama series Blue Heelers.

Blue Meanies: This is a 1960s hippy slang term for the police, it was used in the Beatles film the Yellow Submarine, although many viewers may not have realised its significance.

Bluebottle: A British term for policeman that may have derived from Cockney rhyming slang. 'Bottle' is an abbreviation of 'bottle and glass', which is rhyming slang for 'a**e'. (See also Bottles).

Bobby: This is not now widely used in Britain (except by the police, who still commonly use it to refer to themselves), though it can occur with a mixture of affection and slight irony in the phrase "village bobby", referring to the local community police officer. It is derived from Robert Peel (Bobby being the usual nickname for Robert), the founder of the Metropolitan Police.

Bottles: Cockney rhyming slang for Coppers (see below), from Bottles and Stoppers.

Boys in blue: A reference to the blue uniform worn by some officers.

Brass: Term originating from the brass badges that police carry in order to identify themselves.

Bronze: A term used for police officers in the 1979 Mel Gibson movie Mad Max

Bulls: An American term usually used to refer to railroad police but may also indicate regular police officers.

Cherry Toppers: Often used in reference to police cars which in most nations bear red lights on the top of the car.

Cop or Copper: While commonly believed to be an acronym for Constable On Patrol, the term refers to "one who captures or snatches". This word first appeared in the early 18th century, and can be matched with the word "cap", which has the same meaning and whose etymology can be traced to the Latin word 'capere'. (The word retains this meaning in other contexts: teenagers "cop a feel" on a date, and they have also been known to "cop an attitude".) Variation: Copper. It is also believed that the term Copper was the original, unshortened word, popularly believed to represent the copper badges American officers used to wear at the time of origin, but in fact probably used in Britain to mean "someone who cops" long before this.

Crusher: Of unknown origin but may have come from the nickname used for the Royal Navy Regulating Branch.

Dibble or The Dibble: Arises from the police officer in the Hanna-Barbera animated programme Top Cat. Most commonly used in Manchester.

Do-do nutters or The Do-dos: Arises from the stereotype of police officers eating donuts.

DRC or The DRC: Dirty Rotten Cop(per).

Feds: Usually used in the United States to refer to higher federal law enforcement agencies, especially the F.B.I. The term has gained widespread use around the West Midlands area in the UK, especially Birmingham. Derogatory slang, possibly due to influence of imported US television programmes.

Filth: a widespread term used in several countries.

(Name of city)'s Finest: Used in either admiration, or slightly derisive irony, in the United States. In New York City, the term has been adapted to other civil servants, such as "New York's Bravest" (the Fire Department) and "New York's Boldest" (the Department of Correction).

First Bunch of Idiots: Referring to the F.B.I., the federal law enforcement arm of the United States

Flatfoot: A term that refers to the large amount of walking that a police officer would do, thus causing flat feet.

Folks, Tha Folks: Southern Louisiana, rarely used.

Fuzz: This North American term first appeared in the 1920s and gained popularity in the 1930s. This slang term may be in reference to the sound of the field radios that police commonly use. It surfaced in Britain in the 1960s.

The Heat: American; putting the heat on someone. (Example: in the line What a field day for the heat (Stephen Stills, "For What It's Worth" from Buffalo Springfield, 1967), Stills is referring to the police.)

The Gaver: Cockney slang for the police - unknown origin - London.

The Guards: Irish term for the Garda Síochána

Heavy or Heavies: Cockney rhyming slang for the Flying Squad, from the Heavy Mob, (see also Sweeney).

Horseman: A Canadian term referring to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Variation: Mounties.

Jake: A common term used and created in New York City, New York

John Law or Johnny Law: Used across the United States. Mostly an older term.

Knickers : see Nickers (below)

Mama (Maman in South): Hindi (Malayalam in South) word which means uncle. Sarcastic reference to a policeman.

The Man: A derisive term popular during the 1960s and 1970s during the anti-establishment and anti-authoritarian movements. Implies that police are a tool of the powerful "man" that is trying to keep others down.

Member: Used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to refer to fellow Mounties in place of the usual "officer" or "constable" (or equivalent) in other police forces.

Mr. Plod, P.C. Plod or Plodder: a British term that arose from the Noddy books by Enid Blyton, in which Mr. Plod was the village policeman. "Plod" has also commonly been used by the British police themselves, as has its (generally disparaging) female equivalent "plonk".

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2008, 16:37:57 »
Contd....

Nickers : A uncommon British term being a pun on "knickers" (female underwear). As the term is spoken not written the silent "k" in knickers is not obvious. This relates to an officer "nicking" a suspect i.e. arresting them, and taking them to "the nick" i.e. a cell in either a prison or police station.

Laws: A term originated in Houston, Texas.

One Time: A term where its meaning is derived from where if arrested all it takes is "one time" to be put away (convicted).

Old Bill: A term in use in London among other areas, inspiring the television series The Bill. The origin of this nickname is obscure; according to the Metropolitan Police themselves, there are at least 13 different explanations.

Pandu Hawaldar: Indian constabulary (and not officers) were recruited mostly from village areas. Pandu Ram was a common name in the villages. Hawaldar is a police sergeant.

Peeler: This also comes from Robert Peel (see 'Bobby'); it has largely disappeared in Britain, but is sometimes used in Northern Ireland.

Pigs: This term was widespread during the 19th century, disappeared for a while, but reappeared during the 20th century. It became especially popular during the 1960s and 1970s in the underground hippie and anti-establishment culture. It has also been used in anti-authoritarian punk and gangsta rap circles. Oz magazine showed a picture of a pig dressed as a policeman on a front cover. [1]

Po-po or Po: A term used commonly by North American youth and rap artists.

Po-9: A term originating from "po-po", used mostly in the southern US.

Penelope's: A slang word for the police term coined by the SF Bay Area rap artist E-40

Rashers: British slang derived from pigs.

Rozzers: A British term. To Rozz was slang for to roast in the East End of London.

Rollers: An American term believed to have originated in the San Francisco Bay Area

Scuffers: An old British term.

Scum: Used across Britain, as an insult to say that the police are lower than the criminals.

Snippers: An African-American term used mostly in North America.

Soggies: Australian term for officers of the Special Operations Group.

Sweeney: Cockney rhyming slang for the Flying Squad, from Sweeney Todd, inspiring the television series The Sweeney, (see also Heavy).

Smokey: A term from the CB Radio fad of the 1970s. See "Bear" above.

The Thin Blue Line: Used to describe the role of the police in being the barrier between civilized society and chaos, inspiring a TV series and a documentary of the same name. This has led to policemen involved in entrapping gays being ironically described as "The Thin Blue Jeans".

Tit-Heads or Tits : Rarely used derogative British term for uniformed police officers originating in the shape of traditional UK police helmets worn by patrolling officers which are or were a similar shape to a large female breast - as in the phrase (to a policeman) "take the tit off your head" meaning "relax" or "imagine you are not on duty".

Tyre Biters: A term typically used for country police officers because of their habit of being involved with frequent car chases.

Wallopers: Mostly Commonwealth usage, from "wallop" meaning to hit or beat.

Woodentops: British term for uniformed police. Believed to be a reference to the 1950s children's TV series The Woodentops, very rarely in use.

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2008, 16:56:55 »
Hey KT I just realised your just along the road from me. You must be "served" by Cleveland Police too right?
The less said on Cleveland Constabulary the better  :)
I drive past yarm daily on my way to Catterick.

Yes we are served by Cleveland Police.  I guess it depends upon which force serves your community as to the level of service you get.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2008, 16:59:05 »
I've just had a couple of pints with a former bobbie this dinner time and he is seventy years old who would give you a good slap in years gone by, but my question is why is there this ate for the Police of today?,  surely the problems start in the home with the feral parents and kids we have £20 per kid for family allowance ya can't beat it easy money for the pub >:(

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 16:59:21 »
FUZZ was a type of rhyming slang word for constable which was pronounced  c*nt stubble.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2008, 18:24:58 »
Ace,
       Did you enjoy the scenes of British Bobbies having their heads kicked in by a group of Porridge wogs in Manchester the other night on the main TV news tonight?, but do you get any TV on the IOW ;)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2008, 18:25:59 »
all the above from one person saying they were stopped for a spot check....  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2008, 18:35:00 »
Ace,
       Did you enjoy the scenes of British Bobbies having their heads kicked in by a group of Porridge wogs in Manchester the other night on the main TV news tonight?, but do you get any TV on the IOW ;)

As a sweaty I find that offensive.... I'm gonna call the po...

No need for tellys on the Southern Island - they still marvel at fire.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2008, 18:37:58 »
Ace,

Misunderstanding here ! I was just adding a correction to Keefs post. I'm all for a police force, as long as they do not try and help me. As a biker, although 'retired' member of a M.C. my problems would be sorted for me. Not that I seem to have any.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2008, 21:04:26 »
all the above from one person saying they were stopped for a spot check....  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Yes and I wish I'd never bothered, still it got us talking. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal