Author Topic: Eristic's tomato seed trial  (Read 5369 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Eristic's tomato seed trial
« on: May 12, 2008, 22:11:23 »
I thought it might be better to start a new thread as the original one is from quite a while ago. I sowed all the seeds Eristic sent me but germination was very poor indeed.

I now have just two very strong plants. One is in a pot in my small GH and the other is outside together with 5 other varieties planted in ring culture in a raised bed.

How has everyone else fared with germination?

Tricia

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Eristic's tomato seed trial
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 22:15:40 »
I got 50% - ish, a couple were very small and weedy and went in the compost bin. I now have 6 at home, 3 will be outside and 3 in the greenhouse. 6 have gone to the organic farm to be tried up there.

Notes are being taken as they grow from each location for comparison. Will be reporting back later on
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 22:21:49 »
oohh i forgot about those! could someone please post me the website again, thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 22:29:42 »
I'll have to check with OH, she does the sowing... but she's in Leeds on a course right now.  :-\

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 23:34:55 »
While I would have liked a higher germination rate we have to live with what we've got. I scraped out every seed from every tomato whereas normally I would only take from the best fruits. Bear in mind that this one solitary plant was flowering and setting fruit long after all other tomatos in the district had turned to pulp, and the continual poor weather conditions may have contributed to the low viability. The fact remains that most people have some plants to test. This can only be good.

Currently I have only 3 nice plants growing on, with another pot of late sown seedlings germinating this week. I did have lots more but the continual frosts eventually took its toll.

My allotment website has now been moved to its own domain although all old links will still work. Address is http://downtheplot.com/tomato_trial.php

If everyone could update the record as and when the plants are in position I would be gratefull. If unable to log in please pm me the number of plants growing and whether outside, under cover, or grown in patio pots.

Good luck

star

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 23:56:41 »
Hi Eristic,

My post above says I am growing some at home inside and out, which I can happily log down in your website. Do you want to give me a second entry page so I can log the differences between mine grown at home and the others grown at the farm?

Hoping to get results from 2 separate areas. What do you think?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:15:46 »
I had no complaints about germination, but I've only kept two plants due to lack of space.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:04 »
My germination was about 50% which I was pleased with all things considered. I have 6 very healthy plants, probably going in the ground this week, although one has moved down to Hayling Island to live on my father's plot!

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:10:34 »
 Hi all,  :D
               Well, I am happy to say that I had 100% germination  ;D 9 seeds sown , 9 plants up & running. Seed sown 20.3.08. germinated 25.03.08, transplanted into 75mm (3 inch)  pots 04.04.08. At the moment they are outside gaining the benefit of the warm weather, but I will not plant them out permanently for another 2 weeks, the weather is due to be a lot cooler this week end with temps at night dropping to 6dgs C. My only concern is that they are not growing upwards very much, they seem to be stuck at about 30 cm (1 foot) For an indeterminate type tom I thought they would by now be taller, any thoughts on this?

Adrian.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:26:45 »
100% - you must have extra green fingers, Adrian!

They're the same height as 4 of my others, bigger than a couple and smaller than one (Sungella, unsurprisingly!). They've put on a spurt recently having just been potted up. I reckon metcheck is always a bit pessimistic when you go beyone a few days... hadn't noticed a 6 though, thanks!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 19:03:30 »
I had great success with the germination and have them planted out already.  Have given some away to see how others do with them.  So far so good.

All my tomato plants seem to be taking a while to bush out.

Sinbad

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 19:37:01 »
i have one or two having germinated will recheck cos they are in the little greenhouse outside and update on the website

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 22:47:07 »
Pinging this up to the top.

Just a question really - the fruit that has set is a long plum shape. I'll get the camera out tomorrow to show what I mean - but for some reason I was expecting round fruits. Eristic - were the parent plants round or plum types?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 23:47:14 »
Suzanne, mine are plums too, I do believe Eristic did sat there were plums in the beginning. My Three are doing very well, fruit is growing well.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 00:00:26 »
Yes there are plums........................funny that, I thought they were tomatoes!! ;D ;D ;D 8)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 00:25:45 »
Yes I can confirm that the original was plum but while I grew the plant as a vine last year I now think that it may be a bush type.

I have 3 plants well advanced with fruits and another 5 plants setting the first truss. All we can do now is wait and see.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 00:30:50 »
Heehehe, oh well never mind. They would have been HUGE as bushes ;D ;D ;D Plenty of trusses and fruit set ;)

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 12:11:12 »
I have 4 plants, 1 planted early that got a bit of frost damage in the polytunnel but has since gone on to produce about 40 toms.

Unfortunately, 1 of the branches snapped off last week, probably due to the weakness of the frost damage, I have potted it up in the hope it might re-root.  This branch has about 15 toms on it, so here's hoping!!

The other 3 plants were planted late and have just been moved outside so hav yet to see how they fair.

I'm not an expert but the 1st one is doing great against all the odds!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 14:47:03 »
My two surviving plants are outdoors and have been left to bush out as they will. They are healthy but not huge, have a small amount of green fruits on, but they did go out when it was quite cool and took a while to get going.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 15:51:58 »
my one from 3 plants has fruit on it yes plum shaped they are on a patio and although they were started later then some of the others they hav romped away and caught up with and over taken others  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal