Author Topic: Eristic's tomato seed trial  (Read 5367 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Eristic's tomato seed trial
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 18:39:18 »
Mine are all about 4 foot tall and about 4 foot wide with first trusses on each.

I guess I sowed 9 seeds and have 6 plants.  I have had to remove 3 non eristic plants due to early blight already but so far these have been unaffected.

Just to have one ripe red tomato this year would be nice!
Best laid plans and all that

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 22:17:46 »
I have been treating the ones in the tom house and outside on first lottie as cordons - both have trusses that have set. But they do try and be bushes almost as vigorously as the yellow pear. The ones on the second lottie have been left to do their own thing - it is very exposed out their and they went in late with frost damage - but doing really well.

I must have missed the plum bit - but as everyone was expecting this won't post a piccy. Looking at the size of the fruit though they look like they would make an excellent sauce tomato. I am looking forward to trying them when ripe.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 19:01:38 »
I have trained mine as cordons as Eristic said but I truly think they are bush now I see them growing.  The plants are strong with good strong stems. Growing with nice little nipples on the end, so quite different to some of my other paste ones.  I think I am going to just let them go now and watch the growing tip to see what happens.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:48 »
deffo bushes.  May have to put outside as they will no doubt take over the greenhouse.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 21:56:43 »
The tomatoes are just starting to ripen, about 2 more days for the first one I think, I am doubting the bush now though as I would have expected them to come to dead end if determinate ones but they are going on rather like a indeterminate. they are  very tall for bush. I am wonedering if they are  a   
    semi determinates= variety. The fruit look very much like Riesentraube  plum shaped with a nipple at the end ,but a bit bigger or  again like a Valentine but a bit smaller..and the Valentine  will take less than good growing conditions..ring any bells?

Anyway they are very healthy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:09 »
Hi again, we picked and ate the first one of these today.

Plum, but quite small 1 3/4 inches long only,very thick walled, few seeds,ideal for a sauce tomato but size would be a problem for me.

Taste was sadly disappointing as an eater, quite bland, no sweetness or bite, however this is typical of most plum toms, so not unusual for a cooker. In a seasoned sauce I think it would work well, certainly very meaty and should sauce down thick.

Plant very vigorous, very robust, NO blossom end rot on any one of my plants which is unusual for most plum toms as they are more prone than most, especially as I would class it as an early. My plants were all  very  very late this year so it has done very well to fruit already, it rapidly caught up and passed some of the ones I planted a month earlier.

Would I grow it again,,at this point I don't know, I will watch for the season yield, disease problems as we get further on  etc.

So far so good.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 10:36:45 »
Another up date... where is eveyone else...

Second flush of fruit are huge compared to the first few ripe ones we got.

Large elongated plum types, very thick walled meaty tom,defiantely one for paste/sauce.

Very prolific, the plants are very heavy with fruit.

Taste would be a problem for me if used as a salad tom but great for a cooker.

The plants are very strong and healthy.

I have 3 plants, two have been regularly fed, one I have not fertilised, there is little differnce between the three.

How is everyone else getting on.

Eristic, I don't have an address to send you seeds back, could you PM.

How many of us actually did the trail?

XX Jeannine

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 10:41:43 »
I have one somewhere out there Jeannine but have been virtually confined to barracks for the last fortnight!  :-[

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 12:38:29 »
My two outdoor ones have lots of green fruit but none ripe yet. Foliage also has a touch of blight! I've picked off the affected leaves, hopefully will get some ripe enough to taste..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:42 »
After sowing 18 seeds and getting 4 germinate I wasn't hoping for much. Put out the 4 plants in different places with different amounts of care. One, planted in a former ditch area with no feed and no watering apart from when I put it in, has given me about 3 kg of fruit, and they are long, long plum tomatoes, not seen anything so long and very meaty. Others will be reported on as soon as I find them  ;D
No blight has hit yet although am expecting it any time now.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 15:27:46 »
I put out four plants as well - they are all still green - but going that yellow slight orange colour. 1 plant is in the tomatoe house which is basically four tree stakes a PCV corrugated roof and some plastic sheeting. The others are outside - one next to the tom house and two up on the secod lottie.

All are heavy with large plum fruits - if all ripen I think I will have around 2 - 3 kg per plant.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 20:55:23 »
Went back today and both plants have advanced blight. I've picked all the leaves off of one plant and hung it in the shed to see if I can get it to ripen. The other one I've left out for the time being, but the remaining foliage is now badly affected. ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 21:04:30 »
I rooted mine out the other day, along with all my other toms, as they all had advanced blight.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 21:13:11 »
Had to root out one plant today and have probably picked about 3KG of large plum fruit from it.  The other 3 are in the tomato house - basically a clear tarpaulin over a frame, open at both ends.  They have no signs of blight and are heavy with fruit.

I hope they don't get blight as there is only so much green tomato chutney I can make  ;D
Best laid plans and all that

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 22:32:45 »
Same here. In fact, The seed trial plant was probably the worst affected by blight of the 8 outdoor tomato plants I had to bin yesterday. I, too, have bowls of green tomatoes, the heaviest crop of unaffected fruit  came from the striped stuffer from seeds Biscombe sent me. I'm in the process of making chutney with Harzfeuer green toms, but don't really know what to do with the rest. Any ideas anyone?

Tricia

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 22:43:45 »
Mine have done really well in that they have cropped heavily.  I haven't found they have ripened any quicker than any of the others and have noticed the actual plant looks poorly, not blight though.

I have noticed that they have been eaten by something even though the truss/toms are quite high up the stem, which the other varieties don't seem to suffer from.  I did find this a bit odd, has anyone else had this happen?

Sinbad

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 23:59:40 »
The ones I put outside have done much better than the ones in the greenhouse. The outdoor ones are cropping very well and about 8 have ripened so far, The leaves are mottled but its not blight. Just hoping for a sunny few days to spur the rest into ripening.

I had 2 fruit that got eaten, they were lower down on the plant, but I would think it is slugs or snails that are the culprits >:(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 08:57:01 »
Hi all,
         Here is my update on the seed trial, I have one plant in a pot on my patio up against a south facing wall, it has 17 tomatoes on it, 4 of which weigh approximately 3 oz, (75 gms) the others are smaller, but a good size for a plum tomato. They are just starting to ripen, that is a hint of red can be seen on a few of them. No sign of blight on this one while 30 foot away in my garden I have lost 4 different tomato plants to blight.
 My other 4 plants are at my allotment , side by side with 4 Roma, sown at the same time. No blight as yet on the plot, the Roma have many more toms on them than the trial seed toms, at least twice as many. So on the yield front Roma win easily, They are not ripe enough to compare taste yet, but I do feel that they will be a cooking tom rather than a tasty eater.
 I have 4 other trial plants being grown by other people I will get back to you when I hear how theirs have done.

Adrian.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 10:17:50 »
All killed by blight,when i get some seeds i will try him again in the greenhouse.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 14:39:41 »
Og goodie, I thought I was on my own for a mo..

Sad about the blight as I think Eristic was hoping they were blight resistant.

Mine are growing fine, no blight.

It is funny about them being eaten though as it is the same here, I have 5 types in the same area that these ones are in and only these are being snacked on. I have put this down to the fact that the other 4 varieties are all tangy toms and this one is not.. Slugs don't like acid maybe?? I have no others being eaten among the reaining 24 varieties in other areas either. Odd I agree.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal