Author Topic: tall and thin  (Read 1033 times)

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
tall and thin
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:43:36 »
Hi Guys and Gals

I start most of my veg off indoors in trays and pots to get an early start but one thing that has been bothering me is why most of the seedlings tend to grow rapidly and be tall and spindely.  Is this due to using general purpose compost, not enough light, too much heat or something else? 

Should I be puting the pots and trays out in a cold frame as soon as they poke through the surface to ensure they get a decent amount of light and not too much heat or do I need to be trying a different compost (currently using a cheap 3 large bags for £10 stuff)?

I have finished sowing most of my stuff for the time being but It would be nice to know what I am doing wrong when I sow my next batch of seeds.

Thanks

Michael

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: tall and thin
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:05 »
it's not enough light. For hardy veg, pop them in a cold frame as soon as you can. For tender stuff like tomatoes and beans, put them in the cold frame, and be prepared to bring them in at night if it's forecact to be cold. With leggy toms you can repot them burying most of the stem. Actually I do that with any leggy seedling, but it's best to do it with plants where the stem can form new roots, like toms

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
Re: tall and thin
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 13:09:21 »
I thought this thread was about me when I read the subject  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal