Author Topic: Tomatoes going okay?  (Read 806 times)

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
Tomatoes going okay?
« on: April 29, 2008, 20:42:22 »
In a follow-up to my 'courgettes going okay' thread - i'm just checking what I should be doing with my tomato plants.

They are Sweet Million variety and i probably planted them 3/4 weeks ago. They are now about 2/3inches high - some with 4 leaves some with 2. When should i be looking to repot them into bigger pots, and what size?

Also i've read about picking leaves off when theyre at this stage but thought i'd best check mine are the right stage to do this!

Anyway, here is a photo of their current progress,

(i think they are 'bending' due to seeking the light as theyre on a windowsil? - i try to turn the tray every other day)

Thanks everyone.

matt

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Tomatoes going okay?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 21:00:16 »
They look to me as if they've barely got their first set of true leaves yet, so I would leave well alone for the moment!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 21:00:16 »
They're fine, leave them alone and don't pick anything off. Once they're about six inches high, repot them with a fair bit of the stem buried. They'll develop roots from the buried stem, and soon become sturdy plants which you can grow on. I planted mine in March, and I'm currently in the middle of the repotting stage.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 21:07:03 by Robert_Brenchley »

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 22:10:28 »
Exactly what i needed guys.

Thanks very much 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal