Author Topic: Bunching onions from seed.......  (Read 1005 times)

hippychik

• Not So New ...
Bunching onions from seed.......
« on: April 28, 2008, 21:21:06 »
I have started to grow some bunching onions from seed in seed trays. There are about 3-5 in each pot and they have come up about an inch now. As they are so delicate how, when & what do i do next in re-potting/planting as I want to put them in my allotment.

Thanks

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Bunching onions from seed.......
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:08 »
Hi
I normally sow mine direct and as long as you make sure they dont dry out this works well.

For your pots since you are likely to eat them before they make a big bulb you can space them very close together , therefore just knock the pot out and plant them as a lump then you don't have to disturb the roots at all.
Good luck
Sunlovingx

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20:50 »
If they are Japanes bunching onions Ishikura or Shimonita they should really have gone into the ground,
  Not to worry tho you can pot them on into modules with some depth or a box even and grow them on like leeks. They dont bulb out and you can later plant them out like you would a leek but not so much depth.

Good look
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 17:37:11 »
I sow about 10 to a module & put them out as a clump when they are about 6" tall.

10 is about what you get in s'market packs.

hippychik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 18:12:51 »
Thanks, didn't think of just knocking the module out in a clump and planting.......things you learn on this site!

Will probably sow directly also as they are the japanese kind. So I assume they dont get that big, just like English spring onions?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 18:26:54 »
'English' onions can be quite bulby Lisbony types, or slender Ramrod ones. Much prefer the pencil type. As are most Japanese ones?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 18:28:10 »
Thanks, didn't think of just knocking the module out in a clump and planting.......things you learn on this site!

Will probably sow directly also as they are the japanese kind. So I assume they dont get that big, just like English spring onions?

OH NO, you grow them properly and feed them you will get a shock, i have seen them grown as big as leeks.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 18:43:52 »
Makes them a bit tricky for a Chinese! Or Fishcakes etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal