Author Topic: Crusty soil  (Read 1508 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Crusty soil
« on: April 26, 2008, 17:01:48 »
If the soil goes hard on the surface as soon as it dries out, is that a sign of anything in particular? I wouldn't say the soil is clay, but this seems to happen on most areas of my plot. Guess mulching is the answer?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Crusty soil
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 18:35:46 »
Sounds like a clay soil to me.Have you been walking on it and compacting it while it was wet?

If I dig mine over or rotovate and do not stand on it its fine.....if I stand on it dry and cracks.So I use boards to walk on to disribute my weight....and there is quite alot to distribute I can tell you  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 20:07:41 »
Did wonder about that, Fork. I've acquired a very useful board recently so will make sure I use it in future!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 20:17:33 »
It is clay, or possibly silt if you are near the Wharf, small particles that stick together and form a crust.... real pig when trying to get carrots to germinate!
 ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 21:40:12 »
We are very close to the Wharfe, although up hill from the river.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 21:47:05 »
My lottie soil does this too...as soon as it dries it is all lumpy & almost forms rocks :o
I have to water the ground first when I want to dig over a bed ready for planting.

I nearly sowed some carrots today, glad i havent done them yet....  Saddad what would you suggest for carrots? Should i sow them in pots instead?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 21:52:09 »
Hard rain and sunshine causes the crust on my clay plot - had to break it up in between my onions and garlic today - will be visiting the brewery for some spent hops next week that'll stop it forming again ;)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:36 »
That's exactly what I'm going to do, ninny- they really do make a good mulch, don't they?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal