Author Topic: white fly & other pests  (Read 1104 times)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
white fly & other pests
« on: April 20, 2008, 14:49:12 »
I thought i would share this with you & some of you may already do this.

I tried this last year on my cabbages & brussels etc. After picking some rubarb i cut off the leaves & put them in one of my black water buts with the lid let it brew for about a week gave it a stir & wow what a smell, After picking myself off the floor i waterd some of my cabbages with it as they had a touch of the whitefly, continued with this on a regular basis, every night!! & after a week i noticed this  :P no white fly,green fly,black fly, no butterflies were around the plants no catterpillers,no flea beetle :D. but on the plants i left they were infested with white fly etc :(.
So after a while i started with the other plants and there was a massive reduction in the white flys etc, natures pesticide ;D.
I think its down to the toxins in the leaf that does the trick & the plants looked really well, in fact one comment i had last year they were the best cabbage & brussels on the whole site ;D ;D, ouch my head its getting bigger!!

Just one thing i found a water butt with a tap is better & try and filter the water :D a pair of tights do well catches all the bits from the water.
today i will be growin veg!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: white fly & other pests
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 21:31:46 »
It makes you feel real good too when you use a natural form of warfare, all made by your own fair hands :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:22:41 »
Is it the same family as Comfrey?

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 17:40:48 »
I only have a small greenhouse and last year had about four  tomato plants and some chilli peppers. I found that the marigolds I grew and left next to the greenhouse plants kept the green/white fly away.

You won't believe this but so far this year I have failed to germinate any marigolds - and they are supposed to be really easy. What am I doing wrong?

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 21:03:00 »
I'd try different compost , like you say marigolds are usually easy. How does this work? Do the whitefly prefer the Marigolds

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 19:19:43 »
basil is also a good whitefly repellant :)
today i will be growin veg!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal