Author Topic: The Weather 2008 To all allotmenters  (Read 2504 times)

compo49

• Half Acre
The Weather 2008 To all allotmenters
« on: April 18, 2008, 21:58:56 »
Hi All. Just want your thoughts about what the weather this year is going to be like compared to 2007, as you know April 2007 was v/good sunshine/warm and then it all went down hill no summer lots of rain/flooding poor crops/harvest! April this year so far opposite rain/snow cold v/little sun so does this mean from May or sooner (keep fingers crossed) its sun/warm good weather all the way fab summer good crops/harvest  :)  What do you think Fellow allotmenters  I like to look on the positive side , always optimistic  Await your views .Compo  8)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: The Weather 2008 To all allotmenters
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 22:06:11 »
Ive heard two completely opposite long range forecasts.......one is for a long very hot summer, the other is a cold wet summer. I guess they have to cover all eventualities! ::) ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 22:47:17 »
On the news tonight, they said the weather was going to get warmer from Tuesday.   8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 22:53:23 »
Hope its a good one after last year! - I'm just back from honeymoon and when we flew out on 7th April - we were delayed due to the snow!....

I can remember sunbathing in the last week of Feb 5 or 6 years back. Hope we at least get shot of the winds, they've been awful here in the North East. >:(
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 00:39:19 »
There is an extremely good correlation between hot dry Aprils and cold wet summers - thus 2007.  There is a strong (but not so strong) correlation between cold wet Aprils and long hot summers - so keep your fingers crossed. :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:29:15 »
Yup,

Cold winds until Tuesday then the wind changes direction to SSW and it gets wet. It warms up too.

Conclusion, warm rain.

powerspade

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:11:53 »
At the moment its like Wintertime

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 11:14:36 »
The forcast for round here does look like we will have proper double figure temps from the middle of next week...can't blimmin wait. Our heating is on most of the day at the moment because the house just gets too cold brrrrrrr...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 12:03:35 »
We are so cheesed off here in Hull,losing everything to the floods last year and now all  the rain and cold here now, we have decided to use this year to re do our two lotties, so we are not growing anything apart from the few high raised beds that we are not moving.

John is removing the smaller of our two greenhouses on 1 lottie and back to backing two identical larger ones, the smaller one is cominh home to replace the tiny one here and the tiny is going on the second lottie where he has just dismantles an old one.Plus he needs to move a shed and build a bigger one.

The gooseberries have been dug out and chucked and the currants have been moved, the rhubarb is moving too and the rasps fence and bean fences are down.

All the growing areas are covered and gradually this year we will be building higher raised beds all over one lottie.

So from a growing point of view it is a lost cause for us now here but in thelong run it may be better.

I do hope it does get better as we hace seedlings that we will pop in in post if possible.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 12:18:46 »
April is the cruelest month and 'they' say that if it is particularly bad then we are in for a good summer  8)

but it will be what it will be  :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 14:40:10 »
Watching the weather forecast is like swapping deck chairs on the Titanic, no matter where you sit you are going to get your feet wet.
Its like listening to the Minister of Information in Bagdad during the invasion.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 15:31:46 »
Here is todays weather.!!

Stick your head out of the window in the morning for a visual check, wet said finger when you are outside point in the air, Take a deep breath,

This morning was nice & sunny at 6.30am down our lottie, the said method above was conducted & forcast was a fresh easterly wind with a chance of showers as the air had a slight dampness to it, managed to plant out some cabbage & brussel plants, then went and sat in the poly tunnel for an hour to warm up with a brew ;D
today i will be growin veg!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 16:07:15 »
Hate to say it but it's gonna be 82' here in the Excited States today. Sorry to hear that the winter is still dragging on!
Missing my plots though, lots to do no doubt.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 16:46:29 »
Full of enthusiasm this morning as I was going to plant out a few things on my first lottie, when I was ready to go it was drizzle drizzle and more dribble ( I hate dribble). I gave it a swerve and stopped in... funny this is,,, my 12 year old son was watching Bless this House on the box and I made the drastic decision to sit down and watch an episode as I loved it when I was a kid ( 1973 and 5 years old ) anyway 4 hours later and I feel as if I have wasted some of natures light bulb...Mind you the dribble is still about :'(...Maybe tomorrow.

Digging etc in my floatation suit ( fishing ) does not seem right somehow ???.

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 16:53:58 by Need a Leek »
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 00:03:39 »
What do you think to the weather now! do you think i may be right about this year and its going to be the opposite to last year! fingers crossed it keeps going like today onwarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrds. Everything now growing as the weeds are telling you its time to start planting  but don't get caught out with a late frost!Compo

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 00:11:01 »
We had hail today!!

Went out on my lunch at work and the sun was burning the back of my head - it was also raining at the same time! - and then we had hail!

It can only happen in England surely!

:o
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 18:44:01 »
qoute The weather 2008 to all allotmenters qoute

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 19:00:35 »
Too hot today. Let's hope it doesn't last too long, and we manage a year without extremes for once.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 20:45:04 »
Is any more rain ever going to fall in the South East? Hot and dry for 2 weeks, earth like concrete, but asparagus roaring into action. Also psb having a last spasm.

amphibian

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 20:33:04 »
Here in the heart of Kent, the ground is dust already, no rain for weeks, no sign of it either.

Everyone at work is happy, except us that garden. Also been forced on to a water meter by water company, much vexed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal