Author Topic: Globe Artichokes - when to pick?  (Read 1502 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Globe Artichokes - when to pick?
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:48:07 »
Says it all really.  I have one that is about the size of a tennis ball (or just a tad smaller) - is it ready to pick?
twinkletoes

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Globe Artichokes - when to pick?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 16:53:01 »
Yes and no-there are recipes for smallish artichokes but I wouldn`t expect much flesh at the base of the leaves and the heart might not be very big. Try one and see?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 17:06:28 »
Yes! And the small ones are much tastier than the huge ones you can buy in the shops. (Well, that's our opinion, anyway!)

When they're small, the choke hasn't developed, so you eat virtually the whole thing. Don't boil them; 'stove' them 'a la greque' - ie. put them in a small pan which is just big enough to contain them in a single layer; add a little olive oil, lemon juice & water, plus a grind of salt and whatever you fancy in the line of sprigs of herbs, cloves of garlic, etc. Jam the lid on tight and steam them until done. (Usually about 5-10 minutes, but they vary, so test; if in doubt, turn the heat off, but leave the lid on & let them carry on steaming for a bit.)

But it does seem very early - we had our first picking on May 8th last year, and there are no signs of any ready so far this year.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 17:26:59 »
I agree with Trevor, I always waited until they were the size of a large grapefruit and mess about with a dip and sucking flesh off.

After I had them golf ball sized in France, including a inch of stalk and eating the whole lot, I was a convert and eat them small. They can be hot or cold in salad, or in a sauce and are delicious.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:49:54 »
Thanks for that Trevor-D it answers my queries from last year. I almost decided to rip the plants out but thought I would give them another year, I know realise it was more than likely my cooking skills called to test!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:36:20 »
Thanks all.  I am going to pick the biggest one and a few of the smaller ones (just a bit bigger than a golf ball) and try the cooking suggestions put forward.  Particularly looking forward to steaming them with garlic.  Have tried them in Brittany cooked whole picking off the leaves and dunking.  Fiddly but very nice - so worth it.   Wonder why mine are so early then?  Out in open all over winter - not "fed" or pampered. Could be because I am in Kent and perhaps a bit milder than other places?
Twinkletoes

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 13:23:25 »
Yes if you like to eat them with the leaf dipping business (which I love) they must be bigger than that - you won't be able to hold them in your hand. But do pick them before the leaves start to fan out. I would say leave them another week or two.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal