Author Topic: Dig or not?  (Read 4616 times)

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
Dig or not?
« on: April 17, 2008, 20:30:49 »
Sorry but here I go again ::)... On my first plot I have introduced the non dig method and I am impressed with the results that I had from just laying and rolling manure, however this is only my second season so what are the benefits, drawbacks and your views regarding this method?.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Dig or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 20:34:31 »
The dig method is obviously more physically demanding.   I would think the non dig method - you could lose some of your plug plants or seedlings to weeds.  Never done this myself though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 20:41:23 »
The dig method is obviously more physically demanding.   I would think the non dig method - you could lose some of your plug plants or seedlings to weeds.  Never done this myself though.

My plots are a driveway width from the side of our house so I get out there and remove any sign of weeds each day.

I can pull  carrots and lob them through our kitchen window and straight into the pot if my aim is right  ;D.

Cheers
Tony

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 20:48:02 »
due to circumstances too boring to go into, we do the no dig method, raised bed method and mulch method..works for us  ;D
lucky for you, ours is a 15 minute drive away from our house

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 22:45:53 »
How do the no-dig people find slugs? Do you get more or less do you think?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 23:42:35 »
I'm sure you get more as you're laying on a feast of decaying organic matter. 90% of them are in the soil anyway, and there's not much you can do about those.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 08:05:28 »
I cant comprehend this no dig gardening but i aint gonna knock it as i have never done it or read up about it.
A few things that go thro my head on this style of gardening  are, i don't think you can get good results from just putting manure or fertilizer on the ground, i think you need a combination of both.  How are the minerals and salts that come to the surface of the soil flushed out. As mentioned does it make a haven for slugs,  and how do you control thistles, nettles and mares tail as the roots run horizontal under the surface till they find some light to come up to. Are you losing crop space.
Perhaps i am to stuck in my ways to change.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22:40 »
Dig the roots out, then go no-dig. As for slugs, they've got plenty to eat, and I don't find them any more of a nuisance than before. If I saw symptoms of mineral deficiency, I'd take action, but as it is, I've never seen it.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:48:48 »
Davy

The answer is that the soil, because it is not compacted by people walking over it, is looser and so weeds just pull out very easily.  It is supposed to be better for the soil as there is less disruption to the lower levels and so the good bacteria and all the other things that make soil can get on with their life without the major interruption of being dug and then having to recolonise when the soil is re-settled.  You can space plants closer on no dig system as the manure and compost that you put on in the winter is closer to the root system and with a slight hill (inverted V shape) there is more access for the sun and air to get to individual plants.

Slugs are no more prevelant than before on the "old system"

Laying the manure and compost over the soil in autumn and winter is the easiest way of feeding the ground.  The worms take it down with them.  You will have seen worms in autumn taking dead leaves into grass, well that is the system that this uses.  And also the worms do a sterling job in aerating and moving the soil around.  There are more of them too as their home is not disrupted by the annual digging venture!

I don't have mares tail, but I have had the odd thistles and nettles and they just pull straight out.  Occasionally they need a little help with a trowel but nothing major!.

You are never too old to try something new davy!  Why don't you try just one bed and see how you go!  It certainly saves that annual toil of digging which is certainly hard graft!  It may or may not work for you!

I was and still am stuck in my ways over some things - but when I see the logic of some of it I try to be open to new ideas and at least give it a go!

Old Bird
 ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 13:29:16 »
I have done both ways, and to be honest I find the no dig so beneficial in saving time and heavy duty digging. The results in harvest are very good too. As has already been said, let the little guys do the hard work for you (worms). The quality and non compaction of the soil is incomparable to the digging method IMO.

As for slugs, my lettuce among other things were virtually untouched in the last couple of years. I suppose it could be Im not disturbing the beetles and other predators of the dreaded slug.

Its certainly the way I will continue to grow. I cant say enough good about no dig. I get many more crops per square foot than the conventional method :D :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 15:36:33 »
In my experience 3 categories of no diggers/raised bedders.

1) lazy people

2) People who get it right and really produce with it

3) weird people who bang on about organic, moon planting, foraging, spirituality, and wear hemp clothing.

Proud to be a Trelawny man!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 15:48:27 »
hands up, we got a no 2 with a touch of no 3  ;D

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 15:59:53 »
I know it works, I've seen some fantastic results.

My concern would be how you get the vast quantities of organic material.

I might be moving soon, in which case I would be taking on a new plot.I'd love to just do a whole 5 rods as one heavily mulched bed, and plant module grown stuff through it.and compare it to 5 rods traditionally done.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 16:36:12 »
albacore - what do you mean by "how do you get the vast quantities of organic material"  you part make it with compost and you part fetch it ie manure and then you mix it!

Everyone talks of 5 rods and 10 rods - haven't a clue of how big that is - but sounds huge!  When you move you will have to show us the two and how they compare!

Old Bird

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 16:42:50 »
10 rods is 90 foot, by 30 foot.

I get muck for my beans trenches and mulching fruit, I reckon I can get 1/4 of a ton near on, in the car in one go, but it takes an hour per run.

I mulched 5 rods once before, 4 inches thick, and that took 30 car loads.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 16:43:30 »
My concern would be how you get the vast quantities of organic material.

My feelings exactly. I don't drive, so "fetching" is not really practicable on a bike. I get some manure delivered, but not enough to do the whole plot, and I've not been on it long enough to make enough compost. Without a car, where is all the lovely stuff supposed to come from? That's partly why I dig; that and I work full time so am still trying to get out all the perennials.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 17:49:06 »
Our local council ( Adur District) provide the service and will deliver 6 tons of the stuff for £30, well worth the bangers I must say. I had two loads plonked on my second plot and that was one hell of a pile :P.

Cheers
Tony

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 17:53:22 »
If I could get 6 tons for £30 I'd snap it up too.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 18:52:53 »
We have a local firm of gardening contractors bring all their grass cuttings and dead leaves. They're extremely happy with the arrangement as it saves them paying to dispose of it at the tip. I'm surprised this sort of arrangement isn't a lot commoner.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 19:01:42 by Robert_Brenchley »

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 18:59:24 »
Give your local council a call. I picked up muck from a local source (for free) last year and when I got chatting to him he told me that the local authorities charge him for removing it and of course charge us to drop it off. I have a good size trailer but when you look at time and motion it really aint worth the effort...Mind you he has got some 2 year old stuff that is almost like compost so I am up for some of that free gear and my time.

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 19:01:08 by Need a Leek »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal