Author Topic: Broody hen  (Read 1496 times)

sid

• Half Acre
Broody hen
« on: April 17, 2008, 19:51:09 »
Can any one tell me how long dose a hen brood for and do they lay small eggs when they brood

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:46:55 »
A broodie hen will usually stop laying and given some eggs to sit on will stay there until they hatch (getting off for a few minutes each day for comfort breaks). That means they will sit for at least 21 days! 
I reckon they go into some long daydream (or they have some telepathic channel they tune into).
Quite often though they will go broodie for 24 hours and 'wake up' and carry on as if nothing ever happened.
I have a silkie/black rock cross (very cute) who went broodie yesterday - I have separated her (taking the eggs she was sat on with her) and if she stays put I will take away the original eggs and put another 6 eggs under her that I want to hatch. I have some in an incubator but you can't beat a broodie hen if they are in the mood.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:51:49 »
Isolate her from the others without the home comforts. Food & Water only, confined space, & minimum bedding.  Remove eggs as soon as possible after being laid ensuring you disrupt her laying position.  It should shorten the broodiness time.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 15:04:23 »
Thanks will do that knew you lot would know lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal