Author Topic: BALSALL COMMON SOLIHULL  (Read 2588 times)

betula

• Hectare
BALSALL COMMON SOLIHULL
« on: April 12, 2008, 22:01:14 »
There is no allotment in the Balsall Common area and a local man is asking
people to join him in pressurising the local council to provide land under the six people or more law.

If you want to help can you pm me and I will give you his phone number. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: BALSALL COMMON SOLIHULL
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 22:30:48 »
dont they have to live in the parish/local area?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 22:33:12 »
Yes they do.Should have said that. :)

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 00:48:21 »
I thought allotments were for built up areas. Cant really call Balsall Common built up !

Have you tried Coventry council ? and theres a number over in Knowle/Dorridge area.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 20:12:38 »
What on earth made you think allotments were just for built up areas?

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 21:55:18 »
In th country, if you want somewhere to grow things, there are plent of properties available with adequately sized gardens.  If you want space , you buy it with the house.

In builtup areas, there just arnt any, whether you want one or not.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 21:58:52 »
What a load of old tosh ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 22:59:33 »
There are people everywhere wanting access to a little land, and not every home in the countryside has a large garden. Allotments started as a way of letting agricultural labourers grow their own food; it was cheaper than paying a decent wage.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:31:28 »
Check your history books Baaaaaaaa...I think you'll find Allotments started in rural areas: see this link for a brief history http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmenvtra/560/56007.htm

Allotments derive from the enclosure legislation of the 18th and 19th centuries and the word 'allotment' originates from land being allotted to an individual under an enclosure award.[40] The most important of the Acts was the General Inclosure Act 1845 which required that provision should be made for the landless poor in the form of 'field gardens' limited to a quarter of an acre. At this time, allotments were largely confined to rural areas although during the latter half of the 19th century, parcels of land in urban areas began to be used as allotments and the value of such plots for the urban working class was starting to be recognised. The spread of urban allotments was intensified by the growth of high-density housing, often without gardens.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:37:49 »

What I find amazing is that someone on this site apparently is making negative noises about a person trying to start a new allotment site in there area because they are in a rural area.There argument is that we could buy a property with a large garden.

Well I for one live in rural area now but I happen to live in a flat.
Even if I did have a garden I would still want an allotment.
Urban or rural the allotment site is a great amenity for everybody.

I would bet that many posters of this site have both allotment and garden.

I feel that if you can't support someone doing his best to start off a new allotment you should use another site because this site is called allotments 4
ALL.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:18:31 »
Well said Betula

I live in rural West Somerset.  I have a garden with my house.  It is not big enough to grow veggies or the like.

If you have pots of money you buy a house with a garden large enough for all your needs etc etc.  I haven't yet won the Lottery so failing winning I have a lottie!

I don't have straw coming out of the side of my mouth or anything like that either.  What a weird idea that anyone/everyone who lives in the country has a large garden.

In my last cottage on Exmoor I had a teeny courtyard garden.

Presumably you live in a city - maybe you shoud pop out for a trip into the "country" - not just looking at the half million plus houses - smaller ones where "normal" people live.

Good luck with the new allotment - keep us posted!

Old Bird
 :o

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 13:33:28 »
Baaaaa - What a complete load of old bloox.
I went on holiday to Somerset in a country cottage in a little village. The village was made up of enormous manors, going down to little cottages. There were several allotment sites all around the area and were taken up by people from both the big and little houses.
If that's your attitude to other allotmeteers, I suggest you start your own little club of one.

Betula, I'd be seriously interested in how this progresses, not least to see how the council tries to wriggle out of it. It could help others in the same situation later, and give them a bit of advance notice.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 22:11:04 »
I feel that if you can't support someone doing his best to start off a new allotment you should use another site because this site is called allotments 4 ALL.

Betula, I don't live in the parish or the local area, so technically I can't support this person.

Be careful your determination to belittle one person doesn't blind you to the wider implications for the rest of us.

Oh, and deep breaths can help untwist knickers.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 22:59:03 »
 ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal